cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Automating Light&Vent schedules???

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyone out there automating Light and Vent schedules via a List Scheme or an Interactive Schedule???

If so, can someone please suggest how I might list my windows by zones and sum their calculated light and vent values?

I assume I would need to add light and vent parameters to all my window objects - or am I overlooking a possible Global Varible(s) that may already exist for this purpose.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Dan K
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
Dan wrote:
If so, can someone please suggest how I might list my windows by zones and sum their calculated light and vent values?

I assume I would need to add light and vent parameters to all my window objects - or am I overlooking a possible Global Varible(s) that may already exist for this purpose.
Hi Dan,

All objects are 'aware' of the zone(s) that they are in, so grouping by zone should not be a problem (providing your zones don't overlap).

You don't need to introduce new variables ... use the 'User Defined' variables in the parameter group "ArchiFM and Listing Parameters" at the end of the scrollable param list in your window settings dialog. Unless you have scripts to calculate these values - they are more likely static - you might want to create your I.S. first, to group identical windows, and then fill in these fields to update all similar windows in one step.

HTH,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
All objects are 'aware' of the zone(s) that they are in, so grouping by zone should not be a problem (providing your zones don't overlap).

You don't need to introduce new variables ... use the 'User Defined' variables in the parameter group "ArchiFM and Listing Parameters" at the end of the scrollable param list in your window settings dialog. Unless you have scripts to calculate these values - they are more likely static - you might want to create your I.S. first, to group identical windows, and then fill in these fields to update all similar windows in one step.
karl,
Thanks for the reply, but I still don't feel there is an easy way to make this report possible. I personally believe graphisoft should make a "Light+Vent" schedule a standard "List Scheme" or more preferably a standard "I.S."....I'll probably move this suggestion to the wish list as its such a commonly required schedule.

Until then here's a couple thoughts,
Graphisoft's Zone scripts probably need some addtional parameters to report required light and required vent.

Something like:
!!! LF = Light factor for calc - .08 or .10!!!
!!! VF = Vent factor for calc - .04 or .05!!!
REQLIGHT=LF*ROOM_AREA
REQVENT=VF*ROOM_AREA

With this info you could directly pull "REQLIGHT" & "REQVENT into your list or I.S.

It would also be great if you could use some sort of REQUEST function from within the zone to find windows related to that specifc zone and associate "ACTUAL" Light/vent values contained within them to the report as well.

"ACTUAL" light & Vent values should also somehow be part of Graphisoft's standard window scripts. The closest parameter currently available for use is "Total Glass Area" in ArchiFM & Listing...We need some sort of way to report Glass (LIGHT) area as well as VENT area. Ideally, it would be nice to be able to use manufacturer specific numbers for these criteria but that might require hard-coding these values into customized windows - too much work....We should have a Graphisoft standardized solution. I think we could get by with some scripting to approximate and report these values.

I hope what I'm promoting makes sense...I just cant see how you can achieve these schedules without more intelligence scripted into the standard ArchiCAD zones and Windows.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts or if I have overlooked a way to create these reports with the zones and objects as they are currently scripted

Thanks,
Dan K
Karl Ottenstein
Dan wrote:
Karl wrote:
I hope what I'm promoting makes sense...I just cant see how you can achieve these schedules without more intelligence scripted into the standard ArchiCAD zones and Windows.
Yes, makes sense. I misunderstood where you were standing when you asked the question. I thought you knew that the intelligence wasn't there, and were asking for variables for you to manually enter the info so that it would appear in schedules.

Yes, glazing data, etc. needs work to make such a schedule easier to produce.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB