Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

BUG: Copy / Pasted Text Changes Size

isaacjpu
Booster

Is this the right forum for bugs? I believe previous posts about a similar bug were here.

Copy / pasted text changes sizes, regardless of zooming or panning before pasting. This also happens whether i paste in a different text box or not. Below are some examples:

I pasted text in the same text box, after hitting enter, and it's 0.19 Pt larger. After pasting, i hit enter and continued to type: new text is also 0.19 Pt larger. That text, copy/pasted, (line 5) remained at 6.19 Pt.

(Could be related to leading / line spacing?)

isaacjpu_5-1678812965521.png

Tried again; this time at a different original size. (7.00 Pt) This time the text was pasted 0.08 Pt smaller. After hitting enter, new text on the next line was back to 7.00 Pt. The fourth line of text copy / pasted (line 5) was 0.08 Pt smaller again.

isaacjpu_4-1678812890860.png

26.4022 US, Windows 10

3840 x 2160 main monitor, RTX2080 (eGPU with an XPS13 from 2019)

Bug also happens constantly when i'm not docked:

Integrated Intel Iris graphics on integrated 1920 x 1200 display.

15 REPLIES 15
Karl Ottenstein

I can't reproduce this, Isaac. Build 5002 AC 26 USA.  Either it was fixed in the 5002 preview build (try installing it) - or perhaps it is an issue limited to Windows (I'm on a Mac).

BTW, there is no place here for reporting bugs - only for sharing them with fellow users who can then try to reproduce to verify or get a heads up for a real issue.  All issues should be reported through your local technical support.  It would be worth seeing if someone else can reproduce this issue first, though, and then include a link to this topic in your email to tech support.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein

I found Barry's earlier report that this is/was a known bug, but Minh reported it fixed in certain updates to 24 and 25.  I didn't see another report of this in 26.  In any case, please don't copy your post to every relevant thread.  One post somewhere per issue, and if a new issue, start a new thread.  I think since this is the first (?) report of this in AC 26, that starting this thread was appropriate, but do hope someone else can confirm whether they experience this since I cannot reproduce.  And, again, do try the Preview Update 3, Build 5002, to see if that fixes it for you.

AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
isaacjpu
Booster

@Karl Ottenstein, thanks for looking into the issue! Out of curiosity, what's the resolution on your main monitor? I'll try re-installing Archicad, then build 5002 if the issue persists (4022 should be more stable, no?) since this seems pretty local to my machine.

By "local technical support," are you referring to Graphisoft USA? We're a two-person office -- i am tech support, ha.

Yes, i agree that keeping things to one place is ideal, but didn't realize until after responding to older threads that this looks to be a different / new bug, hence the new post. Thanks for helping acclimate me to the forums.

Related to better understanding the forums: it shows you edited my post at 10:53pm -- is there any way to view different versions of posts? ...Can moderators potentially change posts however they like without record of what was originally written? (No accusations here, just trying to make clear the capabilities and implications of a system. I'm confident whatever edits you made were for the sake of brevity.)

There still seems to be a problem.

Just tried in 26 (build 4019 -I don't have the latest preview installed).

It doesn't seem to be changing by as much as it did before, but it does change.

Even copy & paste within the same text box.

BarryKelly_1-1679733776906.png

Regarding forum edits, I don't know if regular members can see the edits or not - click on the 3 dots and see if you have an option to view edit history.

It might be just a moderator permission.

BarryKelly_2-1679733953038.png

If not I can assure you all Karl did was increase the size of the images you attached.

We will never alter the content of a post unless it is removing malicious content or web links, or maybe fix a spelling mistake or use the correct terminology.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Eduardo Rolon

Still not fixed, just had to deal with it today on Build 5003.

From 8 pt to 7.99 pt

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Karl Ottenstein

Interesting that Eduardo (on Mac) and Barry (Windows) both see the issue, but I cannot reproduce.  Disappointing that something like this is both random, and has remained un-fixed for so long.

@isaacjpu wrote:

@Karl Ottenstein, thanks for looking into the issue! Out of curiosity, what's the resolution on your main monitor? I'll try re-installing Archicad, then build 5002 if the issue persists (4022 should be more stable, no?) since this seems pretty local to my machine.

By "local technical support," are you referring to Graphisoft USA? We're a two-person office -- i am tech support, ha.

Related to better understanding the forums: it shows you edited my post at 10:53pm -- is there any way to view different versions of posts? ...

4022 "should" be more stable... yet 5002 fixes many bugs and crashes, so who is to say...depends on which bugs you run into 😎

Yes, if your are in the USA, then any bugs should be reported to Graphisoft North America which is your primary tech support contact by email or phone.

As Barry replied, I edited your screenshots so that they were readable without having to click on them to hopefully get you more responses as people skim through posts.  Only edits.  In addition to what Barry said about what we edit, I do edit typos/mis-spellings in subject lines in particular so that topics will come up when someone searches using the correct spelling of key terms.

My monitor resolution is 5120 x 2880.  It would be surprising if that has any influence on this bug - which now both Barry and Eduardo have reproduced.  No idea why this issue never happens for me.

I have seen this one for a long time (reported during beta a while ago), but only when the Working Units are set to 4 decimals (8.0000 pt becomes 7.9999 pt after copy & paste).

David

David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14

Thanks, David.  I can reproduce it now with the 4 decimal places and 8 point text.

Strangely, with 7 point text, no matter what I do, it always comes out 7.0000 point text.

And, also strangely, the OP used only 2 decimal places and was able to see the issue.

(My guess is that Archicad stores the text size internally in millimeters (everything is meters internally)... and point sizes being imperial based with 72 points to the inch and 8 point being 1/9th of an inch (1/9 being an infinitely repeating .11111... and the conversion factor from meters to inches being an irrational number) that all of the conversion results in some gross truncation and rounding error.  Might explain why this still isn't fixed, as changing the internal units for fonts could be a huge ordeal.  On the other hand, you'd think a copy/paste would copy and paste whatever pre-truncated/rounded metric value existed for the copy and paste exactly that so it should paste exactly matching the original.  The only way that wouldn't happen is if they unnecessarily converted the internal value multiple times.)