cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Changing the reference level 0.00

CIA20
Contributor

Hi, 

I have been asked from authorities to change the reference level of the project 0.00  to the middle of the road (actual level of the middle of the road is -0.31m).

(Please check the inserted image).

With the new reference, I should have on my ground floor a level +0.13. ..Can I do this change without having to move all the model  in altitude ? Thank you for you help. 

Irina

00.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

"Can I do this change without having to move all the model  in altitude ?"    Mostly yes.    But tell them no.  There is no good reason to move your model.  To make them happy, just add a note that says something like:  "Project Datum=0.00 = First Floor = +0.13 above the Centerline of the Street = ___.___ above Sea Level."   You can also just change the name of your First Floor Story if you want the reference to the Centerline of the Street to show in Sections and Elevations. 

SteveJepson_0-1702341170487.png

Don't let them dictate what you want to Establish as Project Datum.  It is not of their concern.  They are just after some information they can use without having to compute anything.   Give them a Section through the entire Job Site and the Street where you can dispaly the dimensinos and elevations they want to know about - relative to the Centerline of the Street.   Do it in a different project file that you can set up the Stories as Sea Level,  Centerline of the Street, and First Floor/Top of Slab.   Something like that.   

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

If it helps, you can use the Custom Text feature of a Dimension, Level Dimension, Superscript.... to show a secondary Elevation Reference with the Elevations/Dimensions relative to your designated Project Datum.    

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

jl_lt
Ace

Use the reference levels relating the new level you need with the original level.  This way you dont have to move your model nor anything, but you will have to select the new reference level for each view (which fortunately can be done for many views at the same time).    With this, you can go back and forth and all levels update accordingly.

Thank you Steve for your solution,

If I understood well, this would mean a lot of manual work? I would have to go to every level to calculate de difference and write in the custom text..

What I would like, a function in ArchiCAD that  can permit changing the reference point..

Hi, 

Thank you for the solution, 

Could you please show me in a screen shot how you do it ? 

Thank you. 

C.I

Hi Steve, 

Thanks for your reply. 

I can change the levels manually with the custom text, but..

That is a lot of manual work and useless work that can generate mistakes. 

Once (with another project) I pulled all the model down and had all the levels adjusted for same authorities. My road was -1,2m, and with the new altitude, my 0.00 point was in the middle of the road and my ground floor level was at +1.20m. But then I had to lift everything back again for the building plans and execution to get my 0.00 point at the ground floor. 

Anyway, I wanted to know, if there is any possibility to just change the reference, and automatically have all the levels correctly adjusted and no need to do anything manually, as If moving the 3D model. 

I hope you understood what i mean, english is not my mother tongue. 🙂 

good day,

C.I.

You can move the entire model up or down easily enough, and when you do, the Elevation dimensions will all adjust automatically - but- it may cause you some problems if you have things linked to a Story. Personally, I don't ever want anything linked to a Story.   So for me, I can (from any story), turn on all layers and use the Marquee Tool [Selection Method: All Stories] to view the entire model in 3D.  From there the entire model can be moved up or down any distance and the Elevation Dimensions/Story Elevations will automatically adjust for the new location.  Group and Ungroup are usually helpful for this sort of thing.   Something else you can do is via Storie Settings.  You can just type in a new Elevation or Height to the Next Story, and the model will move per text input.   Also, in Project Preferences, you can edit Reference Levels.   There are times when you may want to just make a little slab or something, pace it down at Sea Level or other reference level and using the Dimension Level Tool place the dimension per that object and drag the dimension text to a place you want it to be displayed on the desired layer.  All kinds of ways to get what you need - but they all depend on your unique situation and how you have the model set up - which we don't know.  There is always a way to get what you need with ArchiCAD.