BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Difference between Worksheet and Detail Tool???

Anonymous
Not applicable
In our office we typically do 1/4" floorplans then enlarge certain areas that need to show more detail (ie: kitchens, bathrooms, etc.).

For the enlarged plans, I use the Detail tool or the Worksheet tool, which brings me to my question...

What do you use for enlarged plans?

Is there a difference between the two? Should I use one vs. the other?

Please help as there is dissension in the ranks...
32 REPLIES 32
Mark Wallace
Enthusiast
Andrew wrote:
..................it would be nice if the Worksheet had the same status functionality as Elevations & Sections, in that you could choose to have the worksheet auto update from the model, manual update from the model or make it into a 2D drawing.

That way you can crop areas of the plan to create part plans and have dimensions in the worksheet that relate to walls etc and when the wall moves in the model the dimension updates itself. The opposite would also be useful, being able to move walls etc in the worksheet and have them move in the model.

Or is there a better way that I haven't discovered yet?
I overlay a 'Worksheet' (WS) on all of my elevation and section views and finish the 'drawing view' within the WS. It is the WS that is more often linked to it's particular drawing or layout.

Let me explain. I minimally have 4 active elevations on the model however, I place 2 or 3 worksheet views on that particular elevation view or section view as it is generated.

There is one WS for Schematic design of the elevaton, one WS for CD's of the elevation and another WS for existing conditions or presentation. As I develop the project, I manually update that Worksheet's view from it's actively related generating tool. I then add the annotation, text, entourage, fix the fills, tweak lines, textures and so forth. My Schematic or presentation WS's have shadows and fills that my Construction Documents do not. Each Worksheet view is linked to a drawing/layout so things stay put until I revise or update them from the active tool. The beauty of this method occurs when I either revise or change the design; the previous WS views remain static (unless I forget & manually update those views as well ). If I do loose the previous WS view, I normally have a backup of the project file.

I agree with others, and use the Detail only for active or automatic updates and the Worksheet for the static views when only 'additional' graphic, text or 2D editing is required.

In my practice, it may look like I'm deisgning and drafting on the fly but, I'm really 'changing' things intentionally and then coordinating those changes thru to the various viewsets/and/or drawings. Some tools are better suited especially when lines or fills do not clean up; as with an elevation or section of a building's design that makes a straight forward & simple drawing look terrible.

Besides, the Worksheets update VERY fast in comparison with other active viewports such as the elevation, section or detail tools. I've been using this method for several years or since V11.

Oh....& I've done WS's of active details; for Code Officials who needed special annotation (I won't say what ) but the view had nothing to do with the Info the Contractor needed for construction.

Having both the ability to keep a 'static view' and 'active views' properly referenced within the project's model file continues to be very helpful.

HTH's

Mark
Mark R. Wallace AIA
---------------------------------------

MacBook 2.53 Ghz, Intel Core i5, 8 Gb,
Mac OSX (Sierra 10.12.6,
ArchiCAD 22 USA Full, +21, & 20.
davide
Newcomer
it would be interesting to be able to see the file project for understand how someone works. davide
iMac i7 late 2009
Archicad 24
Anonymous
Not applicable
Worksheet, used with Xref and Trace Reference, turns ArchiCAD into the perfect modeling machine for Construction purposes.

You link and unlink all those hundred design 2D drawings into your file, maintaining total control over it's structure.

The only improvement I can imagine is to be able to do a folder structure, to keep all the trades and versions separate.
Learn and get certified!