Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Dimension tool not working

Anonymous
Not applicable
The dimension tool works fine for me on a new ArchiCAD file set up from the Archicad17 standard template.

However, just tried adding dimensions for the construction set to a model I've been working on for a while & nothing works after selecting the tool: no dimension points, no double-click to pull up the hammer cursor, no nada.

Tried turning on all the layers, restarting the computer / ArchiCAD but with the same result - nada in my file, but fine in a new document. Problem is clearly with my file - maybe some setting that needs changing?

Any suggestions gratefully received...

Duncan
17 REPLIES 17

OK that all looks good.

So now if you click where the hammer is, you should get your dimension.

But as you say you are not getting the placement lines as you choose where you want to place the dimension.

BarryKelly_0-1683509692502.png

I am not sure why you would not be seeing these lines, but you do see the hammer cursor.

Actually I just had a thought.

The walls you are dimensioning are not exactly vertical.

I have exaggerated the problem here.

You can see one wall is not going to dimension, because it is not perpendicular to the dimension.

BarryKelly_1-1683509982734.png

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

hay there,

i ve got the same problem. but as far as i can see do all the walls have a angel of 90 degrees. in the whole document i can put the right dimensions, just a spicific part not.  The specific place at the bottom betwee A and |100|. i get the placement lines and the little hammer. do you have any sugestions?

Schermafbeelding 2023-07-22 091920.png

So, you click on the side of the walls as I show here.

BarryKelly_0-1690159986208.png

You should get a round dimension market (target) on each side of the wall.

Then you double lick to bring up the hammer and place the dimension.

If you only get one dimension (the 100mm) then the walls are not vertical or parallel to each other.

See my previous post.

They only have to be off by the smallest amount not to work.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
MendoPermaculture
Contributor

I'm having a separate dimension issue, but I think it falls under this same thread title...

My linear dimension tool will not allow me to snap to a parallel reference line. This only happens in files that are started in the template I use (thanks Shoegnome!), not in the files I collaborate with another firm in.

In other words, I can click on two points with the dimension tool, double click to finish the string, and then with the hammer showing my witness lines, I do not get the option showing " '//' set dimension parallel to". I only set my dimensions in the x-y directions. I CAN, set the dimension "parallel to" afterwards with the pet pallette, but previously I could do this while placing the dimension.

Any clues? Thanks in advance.

AC 27amp;
2021 MacBook Pro 16" 32GB Apple M1 Max
MacOS Sonoma 14.5

Do you have the correct geometry method set in the dimension tool?

BarryKelly_0-1721264769129.png

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
jl_lt
Ace

With our proposed dimension tool, all of these trials and tribulations with clicks would be a thing of the past

@jl_lt wrote:

With our proposed dimension tool, all of these trials and tribulations with clicks would be a thing of the past

What proposed dimension tool would that be?

Do you have a link to something to explain?

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Barry Kelly for the WIN!!! Yes, it was exactly what you showed above. Same answer as earlier in this thread, "Geometry Method", except I was missing the drop down option.

Thank you!

AC 27amp;
2021 MacBook Pro 16" 32GB Apple M1 Max
MacOS Sonoma 14.5