cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License Delivery maintenance is expected to occur on Saturday, October 19, between 4 and 6 PM CEST. This may cause a short 60-minute outage in which license-related tasks: license key upload, download, update, SSA validation, access to the license pool may not function properly. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Elevations and Sections produce HUGE file-size PDFs

alexliz
Advocate

It's all in the Subject line above guys. I get elevation PDFs to the tune of 10MB, even 60+MB. Very difficult to open and share. Impossible to send to printer. Am I missing something, or were these never meant to be printed and shared?

I have got them with the "Uncut Fill" option set to "Surface - Texture Fill, Shaded" and all external walls have the "Stonework - 02" surface.

Many thanks.

Archicad 27 macOS Sonoma
13 REPLIES 13
torben_wadlinger
Virtuoso

Especially in views and sections, you have the problem that archicad builds these things in layers, i.e. there are lines on top of lines and surfaces on top of surfaces. This of course increases the file size. If there are also small hatchings involved, which are all broken down into individual elements (e.g. soil, gravel layers), then the file size explodes. Not to mention images. It doesn't help to reduce the size, because you can't change the total number of polygons.

I have found a link (in German) that sheds some light on PDF creation from cad systems - and offers a solution:
https://www.sachaheck.net/blog/acrobat_pdf/pdfs-kleiner-machen-acrobat-postscript

There are of course many reasons my PDF:s can get crazy big. In this case, as you have described, it seems linked to texture fills.

What are the section/elevation settings in regards to view distance and such. Does it help if you reduce this? Are there other settings that you can change on the S/E-settings side that can help?

There is an organisation here in Sweden that have produced a nice set of instructions for PDFs (unfortunately it's in Swedish, but various GPT:s should be able to handle that for you). https://beast.se/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/BEAst-PDF-Guidelines-2.0.pdf

These have nothing to do with texture fills - but they have other points that can be useful for managing PDF:s in general.

Erik Bjornhage : SwedishChef, ETTELVA Arkitekter, Gothenburg, Sweden
Architect : Digital Development : Graphisoft Cert. BIM-Manager
ETTELVA Arkitekter : Eriks LinkedIn
DELL Precision 5570; i7-12700H; 64 GB; RTX A2000 [8GB] : AC12 - future

Oh man, you made my day! Thank you for this lovely pdf. I tried to read it and hoped to understand something (there are some familiar characters, like ö and ä, and the funny ones with the little circle on top - but no ü?). I was able to understand some single words, but only by trying to listen to them, because the sound is more familiar than the writing.

e.g. ‘Korrekt linjebredd’ translates to "korrekte Linienbreite" in German. "Trapphus" is "Treppenhaus" (both have double "p"), "översiktsplan" is "Übersichtsplan". But I have no idea what "Skrivskyddade filer" means.

Skrivskyddad fil = Write protected file - i.e. PDF/A which is an archive format.

As I said - there are some good tiips in ther and even Google Translate should be pretty helpful.

We have all our PDF-PublisherSets setup according to this.

Erik Bjornhage : SwedishChef, ETTELVA Arkitekter, Gothenburg, Sweden
Architect : Digital Development : Graphisoft Cert. BIM-Manager
ETTELVA Arkitekter : Eriks LinkedIn
DELL Precision 5570; i7-12700H; 64 GB; RTX A2000 [8GB] : AC12 - future