Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Elevations and Sections produce HUGE file-size PDFs

alexliz23
Enthusiast

It's all in the Subject line above guys. I get elevation PDFs to the tune of 10MB, even 60+MB. Very difficult to open and share. Impossible to send to printer. Am I missing something, or were these never meant to be printed and shared?

I have got them with the "Uncut Fill" option set to "Surface - Texture Fill, Shaded" and all external walls have the "Stonework - 02" surface.

Many thanks.

Archicad 27 macOS Sonoma
5 REPLIES 5
runxel
Legend

Long standing issue that Archicad produces overly large PDFs. Even more so when textures and heavy fills are involved.

It boils down to the inability to reduce the size of the texture adequately. You can try to shrink it down with Acrobat or one of the many online services. In some cases it might help. Other than that? Refrain from using texture based S/E's, I guess. 😕

But I agree that there must be a built-in solution. Seems like nobody thinks through the whole process – it's nice that we have those cool textures in S&Es, but we need to publish them, too ?!?.....

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text | My List of AC shortcomings & bugs | I Will Piledrive You If You Mention AI Again |

POSIWID – The Purpose Of a System Is What It Does /// «Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
alexliz23
Enthusiast

Thanks Lucas. What a pity, it's a good effect and it's (essentially) wasted.

I am now looking at reducing the PDF file size with Adobe and macOS Terminal commands. The result, of course, is nowhere near the original - there's considerable trade-off.

Archicad 27 macOS Sonoma

Agree that Graphisoft really need to focus on solving this for all of its users. Surface textures in elevations and sections (but still not plans or 3d docs 😥) look amazing on screen in Archicad, however, as identified by the original poster above the resultant PDF’s are practically unusable due to being too big to print and being incredibly slow to navigate as pdf’s. We have a mixed Mac & PC environment (latest macOS and Window 11 Pro) and it is problematic on both platforms. This has to be solveable, as Mac’s and PC’s can print extremely complex images of much higher resolution without breaking a sweat using other software. Surface textures were heralded as a major new feature of AC25 with at least one article on Graphisoft’s  website being published showcasing the interior design advantages afforded. Hopefully this is being worked on currently and will be delivered as a much needed hotfix as it is too good of a feature to leave in an unusable/unfinished state. Please GS 🤞.

Unfortunately most of the PDF reading/editing tools (except for Acrobat) lack the ability to streamline vector graphics. We looked at this while trying to find a replacement for Acrobat. In the end, we have an Acrobat station dedicated fro the task of cleaning and optimizing files for issuance.

Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-5060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.6
alexliz23
Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments, Skyhook & Aaron.

In the end I got greatly reduced files by converting the PDFs to PNGs.

The textures in my Elevations and Sections are of lesser quality with the conversion, but not terrible.

Archicad 27 macOS Sonoma