cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

How to Create an editable List Of Abbreviations

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

Just wondering if there is a way using either the Interactive Schedule or Indexes to list a series of abbreviations, so That they are live and coming from one source when you need to edit, remove or add abbreviations?

Ie. Instead of using the text box on the layout and having to copy to each master layout for each different page size?

See screenshot of current situation.

Many thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
I use Word, save as a PDF and place the PDF as a drawing on the sheet(s) that need it. Extra step to edit and re-save if abbrev changes, but I rarely have had to edit the file. The placement of the common PDF file keeps everything the same.

If you want to create it purely in AC, create a Worksheet with your text and just place an appropriate View of that worksheet with the Drawing Tool onto the sheets / masters that need it. Linked and live at all times (unless drawing updates are set to manual).
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Karl,

I have gone with creating a single text box list on a worksheet and placing that on the layouts in such a way that when I edit the worksheet by adding or removing abbreviations they automatically shuffle and no further editing is required.

It's great, thanks again.
JaredBanks
Mentor
Theoretically if the Abbreviation and Full text were parameters in objects, you could schedule them all. It'd mean only things that are in your model would show up (so no abbreviations for elements not placed)

It could get a bit crazy with management, so the external source probably makes more sense. BUT...the idea is nice: that the list auto generates as you place Objects.

It could easily be the ID and one or two IFC parameters, which would mean it could pull from all elements (that have an ID and those IFC parameters) and have them displayed the same.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
JaredBanks
Mentor
You could do it by adding three IFC parameters to all your elements:

Abbreviation: XYZ
Full Text: XYZ
Show in list: Y/N

Then your schedule has the simple criteria of:

IFC property "show in list" is Y

If this is all set up in your favorites, it'd be pretty great.
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome