Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Keynotes in ArchiCAD...cmon!! Multiple drawings, one layout.

dcerezo
Advocate
Ok, the keynotes in ArchiCAD are killing me. Having just come over from the Revit world, this is very frustrating so I'm reaching out to see how you guys handle this. This is what I did:

1. Created Section 1. Used Label tool to create Keynotes (just a number with a frame). Keynote 1, Keynote 2, etc. I created like 10 Keynotes.
2. Created Section 2. Created Keynotes 1, 2, 3, 4, and so on. Like 8 Keynotes.
3. Created Section 3. Created Keynotes, 1, 2, 3, and 4

Now, I put all three sections on one layout. Now it was time to type out all the keynotes in a keynote box for the sheet (excuse me, layout).

That's when it hit me. Each Section has a keynote 1, and a Keynote 2.

What am I supposed to do, go back to Section 2 and start with 11, 12, and 13 (where Section 1 left off?)

That can't be right?

How do you guys and gals deal with this?

Since migrating to Archicad several months ago, I really, really like it, but it has some insanely weak aspects to it that should be no brainers.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, just pulling my hair out.
ArchiCAD 26 - iMac 27, Late 2019, 3.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 32GB Ram, Radeon Pro 8GB, macOS Sonoma
19 REPLIES 19
dcerezo
Advocate
I love Eduardo's term: previous software muscle memory. I definitely have that.

I'll check that simpleaddon.com site, thanks Richard!

And honestly, if all I'm bitching about is shortcuts and the Align tool that's pretty damn good.

I am a very happy ex-Revit dude overall.
ArchiCAD 26 - iMac 27, Late 2019, 3.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 32GB Ram, Radeon Pro 8GB, macOS Sonoma
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
For Pete's sake...

Can Graphisoft just allow us to SCHEDULE LABELS????

Wouldn't that solve the keynoting issue?

a. Create a LABEL that displays a KEYNOTE
b. Part of the label is a Database query of MY OFFICE KEYNOTES
c. LABEL has two CALCULATED BOXES
- 1. Short Notes
- 2. Long Note
d. Schedule can then
- FIND ALL LABELS on a particular layer
- Show LABEL ID (keynote #) and Long or Short Note

This allows me to CHOOSE which items get notes (so I don't have to choose all OBJECTS for example, just the ones I want to note)

And allows me to notate different element types (walls, objects, meshes or even 2d elements)

Been asking for 20years for this functionality... How can this be a difficult thing???

C'mon!

BTW, yes I could essentially do this with an OBJECT, but I can't have that object associate with the element it's pointing to.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Anonymous
Not applicable
I gotta say....

I'm evaluating a three seat license transfer from Chief Architect to Archicad because commercial tools are nonexistent over there. Maybe we'll do split platforms for commercial and residential. But one of my biggest gripes was no keynote manager in Chief. Now I've had some time to look at Archicad and I find out there is no integrated keynote tool? Holy crap. This $6000 program doesn't have that? I used Vectorworks back from it's Minicad 7 days up to Vectorworks 2013 and it had a pretty good keynote tool as long as I can remember.

And to tell me I have to pay Cadimage $30 a month, per license, for that extra tool???? After plunking down $6000? This is really discouraging.

I guess I have to give a possible switch back to Vectorworks a more serious look.
Eduardo Rolon
Between Properties and Expressions you will have a pretty good Keynote Manager in AC22
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

CARMELHILL wrote:

And to tell me I have to pay Cadimage $30 a month, per license, for that extra tool???? After plunking down $6000? This is really discouraging.
Ed,
If you read the whole thread, Eduardo has given you a realistic way to achieve keynotes with no additional expense using native AC tools, although might be little daunting for a beginner. I have also mentioned MasterScript's keynote tool: $100 EUR for a site-license. (http://www.masterscript.nl/Total-Keynote), which would be a one-time cost and would cover all three licenses (i.e. $33 EUR per license). The Cadimage tool is probably the most robust, though. With the subscription model, you can start and stop the licenses only as you need them. Once the keynotes are placed, they don't need a subscription to be read by anyone else. Another benefit is that you will also be getting another Cadimage tool with the Keynotes subscription. These can be very powerful once you learn them.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
alemanda
Advocate
vfrontiers wrote:
For Pete's sake...

Can Graphisoft just allow us to SCHEDULE LABELS????

Wouldn't that solve the keynoting issue?

a. Create a LABEL that displays a KEYNOTE
b. Part of the label is a Database query of MY OFFICE KEYNOTES
c. LABEL has two CALCULATED BOXES
- 1. Short Notes
- 2. Long Note
d. Schedule can then
- FIND ALL LABELS on a particular layer
- Show LABEL ID (keynote #) and Long or Short Note

This allows me to CHOOSE which items get notes (so I don't have to choose all OBJECTS for example, just the ones I want to note)

And allows me to notate different element types (walls, objects, meshes or even 2d elements)

Been asking for 20years for this functionality... How can this be a difficult thing???

C'mon!

BTW, yes I could essentially do this with an OBJECT, but I can't have that object associate with the element it's pointing to.
Vsfrontiers,
If you put your notes as property of the model element your requested feature is already out of the box, as Edoardo said previously.
You can define, as per your requested method, two properties. One is the short text, one is the longer one. You can scahedule and label whatever you want.
AC27 latest hotfix

Win 10 Pro 64bit

Double XEON 14 CORES (tot 28 physical cores)

32GB RAM - SSD 256GB - Nvidia Quadro K620

Display DELL 25'' 2560x1440

www.almadw.it
Professor Pickle
Advocate
CARMELHILL wrote:
Now I've had some time to look at Archicad and I find out there is no integrated keynote tool? Holy crap. This $6000 program doesn't have that?
I’m with you on that. It’s such an integral part of BIM it’s crazy that Archicad doesn’t have a built in solution. It’s not good enough to say “someone else does it”.

Now that 23 is out-ish with its focus on performance I think that 24 should focus on much needed functionality like key noting.
Pushing the boundaries of local time/space continuum since 1972.
Archicad 26 | iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) | 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 24 GB | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB | macOS 12.6

Eduardo Rolon
Just for the record AC has that functionality.

AC22 (and 21, and we could make a case for 20, 19, down to possibly 10) has a Keynote tool they are called Labels.

In order to learn it you need to know also how to use Properties and Schedules. Which has the same difficulty as learning to "draw" Walls for which you need to learn how to use BMats, Layers and Pen Sets.

You might wish to change the name from Labels to Keynotes and for GS to hardwire a specific set of Properties into a predefined Schedule but OOTB we have an extremely flexible system that you can tailor to your workflow. It can be simpler and easier but those are the default wishes for every tool and program.
-----
Quick tip.
In AC you never schedule "graphics" or "labels or any 2D "dumb" object. You always schedule Properties. If the data is not applied to an object it does not exist. This is the correct way to do things.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
As an ex Revit user I was also frustrated and surprised at the lack of a dedicated keynote function. I have been using the Cadimage tool which works well (at a cost). One of the typical options of any keynote manager is to provide a keynote list filtered by the keynotes which actually occur in the views placed on a layout sheet. How can you achieve this filtering when placing a keynote schedule on a layout sheet when using properties to generate the schedule?
Eduardo Rolon
Multiple options come to mind, but it will not work automatically on a Layout.
Either the schedule filters by floor plan or it filters by zone or both. Though I normally organize my Keynotes by Type and not by view which is easier when you have multiple types of drawings in one sheet. For example the Schedule placed in the Layout for restrooms would have as criteria "Related Zone Category = Restrooms". If the project is more complicated then I might add either "number" or "story" or whatever property that groups the items I need.

PS.
We are hitting "previous software muscle memory" items again.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator