Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Line Weight in Elevations

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I'm having trouble showing appropriate line weight differentiation in my elevations for construction drawings.

They show a flat, single weight with grey beyond.

Does anyone have examples of elevations with multiple line weights?
6 REPLIES 6
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Jednum:

If the Lines you are using have different weights (thicknesses), then they should show. Check the on screen setting: True Line Weight. I usually use Polylines of varying weights to outline forms in elevation.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
This could be caused by a graphic override, try to turn off all overrides to see if the lineweight changes.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you David and Erwin.

David, so you have been manually tracing your elevations with Polylines?

Erwin, there are currently no overrides turned on.

If we were to manually set overrides, won't that change the line weight in all views? So an element in the foreground of a south elevation may appear with the correct, thicker weight, but the same element in the north elevation will still appear with the thicker weight even though it's in the background?
Barry Kelly
If you want absolute control of the appearance of lines in elevation then you will have to trace over with lines that you can control yourself.

Otherwise you can set the line weight (pen) for each element you use but the problem with that is that what is in the front of one elevation (needing thick pen) may be at the rear of another elevation (needing a thin pen) - and you can't have it both ways.

So then you have to use the 'Marked Distance Area' setting in the elevation/section settings.
This does an OK job but looks a bit odd when it splits a sloping roof or angled wall that passes through this distance mark.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Jednum wrote:
David, so you have been manually tracing your elevations with Polylines?
Yes. I have not found any automatic settings that allow the control I need to get the elevations to read as I think they should, and there are graphic decisions that cannot be based simply on the distance form the elevation line.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
If Graphisoft would add the saved selections as a graphic override parameter to apply a rule, this will change a lot of things and make this task a lot easier, imagine selecting the elements that will have a certain pen and just save the selection and add a GO rule to change the pen of that elements in the view, this will give us a better and faster way to do it, it will not be perfect and will need a little bit of work, but those tools are there already. I just hope they keep developing GO, cause it has a lot of potential to solve all of our graphics needs.