Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.
SOLVED!

OPEN GL in V25

Tom Krowka
Booster

Hello all.......Am running V25...just upgraded.   I noticed that in the 3D styles dialogue box (after opening a 3D window) I only have engine choices of vectorial engine and hardware acceleration.     Is open GL not available any more?  Is my graphics card outdated?    Have been running V24 and it still shows up on that version.  

Thanks Tom 

Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Archicad runs on both Windows and Mac, so I guess Graphisoft developers had two choices:

1. Keep calling it "OpenGL Engine" on Windows, and "Metal Engine" or something similar on Mac.

2. Come up with a naming that can be used on both platforms.

So they chose option 2., and renamed it to "Hardware Acceleration".

If you see textures in 3D, you are using OpenGL on Windows since the Vectorial Engine can not display textures.

CineRender was never available in the 3D Viewpoint.

In the Surfaces Dialog, you should have 3 options in Ac25 in the "Engine Settings" field:

• Basic Engine
  • Cineware by MAXON
  • Hardware acceleration.

Is Cineware available in the "Engine" field of the PhotoRendering Settigns Palette?

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
runxel
Legend

It has been renamed, since on Mac there is no OpenGL any longer (which has been replaced by Metal). Thus a more general term has been used.

Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
Tom Krowka
Booster

Am running Windows 10, not MAC.  What is Open GL renamed to?  And how can I determine if it's running in any of the 3D views.  Am also missing Cinerender engine both in the 3D views and surface textures dialogue box. 

Thanks Tom 

Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Archicad runs on both Windows and Mac, so I guess Graphisoft developers had two choices:

1. Keep calling it "OpenGL Engine" on Windows, and "Metal Engine" or something similar on Mac.

2. Come up with a naming that can be used on both platforms.

So they chose option 2., and renamed it to "Hardware Acceleration".

If you see textures in 3D, you are using OpenGL on Windows since the Vectorial Engine can not display textures.

CineRender was never available in the 3D Viewpoint.

In the Surfaces Dialog, you should have 3 options in Ac25 in the "Engine Settings" field:

• Basic Engine
  • Cineware by MAXON
  • Hardware acceleration.

Is Cineware available in the "Engine" field of the PhotoRendering Settigns Palette?

Cineware does show up in Photorender settings.   Thanks for the info.   I thought I had missed something when loading up V25.  Tom 

Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com

Thanks for the explanation and makes sense to align the reference. I’m wondering if there’s also been a change in setting as my models appear jaggy on screen in v25 compared to v24. To test this I created a simple 3D view of the same shape starting a new file from the same templates (only the relevant versions) and noticed that v25 3D views still look much more jaggy edges compared to v24. I just updated 25 to build 4013 to check and it’s still the same. All view settings and overides are exactly the same. 

Am I missing something new in v25 to adjust? I've added a side by side screenshot of the simple walls comparing the edges in 3D.  

3D styles v24 to v25.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core 4.60 GHz | 32 GB RAM |M.2 500GB + M.2 1TB | 2x Dell 27” | WIN 10 Home 64
NVidia GeForce RTX 3060 12GB (Studio Driver)
Archicad 24 | 25 (Since v12)

In AC25, is the "3D Antialiasing" checkbox checked in the "Advanced Redraw Options" page of the Work Environment Dialog?

I checked that and it is checked. Set to the same as AC24  

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core 4.60 GHz | 32 GB RAM |M.2 500GB + M.2 1TB | 2x Dell 27” | WIN 10 Home 64
NVidia GeForce RTX 3060 12GB (Studio Driver)
Archicad 24 | 25 (Since v12)

Hello! I have the same problem here. The only difference that I saw between AC24 and AC25 is that in AC25 there's no more OPENGL in the 3D Engine checkbox. 

AC24 vs AC25.JPG

OpenGL is now called "Hardware Acceleration".

It does not look so bad on my screen (I do not have a high res monitor).

There is slight pixelation, but it is not annoying.

However if I go into the Work Environment and turn "3D Antialiasing"  on or off, I can't tell the difference.

But I don't see any difference in 24 either.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11