Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

PDF Drawings SLOW to load in Adobe Acrobat

Anonymous
Not applicable
My client is having difficulty doing measurement in Adobe Acrobat. Drawing sheets are published as PDF from the AC Publisher. Each drawing sheet is between 400KB and 3.5MB large. The building sections are the larger file size drawings and they will take 5-15 minutes to load if you just let Acrobat sit there and work. If you actively switch applications and come back to Acrobat, it seems to update the stalled redraw of the sheet in large chances. Doing this several times can actually get the full sheet to show. If you don't do anything, it makes you think Acrobat has frozen.

The drawings open fine in Preview and Safari, but my client wishes to use the measuring tools for distance and area from within Acrobat.

Is there any known issues / workarounds to et things working?
Is there an alternative OSX PDF Viewer with measuring tools for such work? Or possibly a DWF viewer could work?

Thanks in advance.
12 REPLIES 12
schagemann
Enthusiast
sorry only noticed this thread now - what i really do not understand regarding the PDF export from ArchiCAD is the following:

1. the PDFs bounding box should correspond exactly to the drawing border in ArchiCAD regardless of reactangular or polygonal;

2. any non-visible, i.e. covered elements should not get exported… our suspicion is that this is some sort of remnant of the PMK format, which somehow seems still to get created when you place a view onto a layout (note this is only speculation though… ;0)

3. why can one no longer publish to EPS - unsure but from memory this was possible at some stage… basically that allowed for the EPS, to be published into an Adobe Distiller watch folder, which then 'ripped' the EPS to a a lot smaller PDFs… btw on OSX this can still be done via the Print dialogue > PDF pulldown > Save as PostScript;

PDFs have been the standard digtial format for some years now, thus it arguably is fundamental for ArchiCAD to have the best PDF export that can possibly be achieved, i.e. optimised, small, vector based drawings (i.e. without appropriated curves and exploded fills).
macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 27
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there
Same question with you.After that ,i have tried to
draw the PDF using this code which is from google:
public static string FolderName = "c:/";

RasterEdgeImaging Rectangle = new RasterEdgeImaging();

{
string fileName = FolderName + "Sample.pdf";

REDocument doc = REFile.OpenDocumentFile(fileName, new PDFDecoder());//use PDFDecoder open a pdf file
BasePage aPage = doc.GetPage(0);//get page from REDocument

REImage img = (REImage)aPage.ToImage();//translate page to image
Graphic Text = Graphics.FromImage(LoadImage);
Font DrawFont = new Font("Arial", 16, FontStyle.Regular);
SolidBrush DrawBrush = new SolidBrush(Color.Red);
PointF DrawPoint = new PointF(10.0F, 30.0F);
}
{
Text.TextDrawing = ("rasteredge.com", DrawFont, DrawBrush, DrawPoint);
Text.Save();
REFile.SaveDocumentFile(doc, fileName, new PDFEncoder());

But it can not work.What's wrong with my code?By the way,is there any PDF processing tool which supports to draw PDF and
view PDFdirectly.Thanks for any suggestions.
Anonymous
Not applicable
For accessing docs on an Ipad/phone try BIMX 2d docs

they turned unworkable pdfs into fast and fluid hyperlinked set. You can publish layouts only but including a 3d model makes them more fun!

We had B1 pdfs where one file took 1 min to open and 40 sec to refresh, i.e. we needed a workstation to open and use them....now one file of 25 drawings can be accessed with virtually no screen lag. Didn't believe it till I saw it!