Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

PMK file name length limit?

TomWaltz
Participant
For some reason, our PMK files truncate to be 32 characters (including the ".pmk").

Is this intentional by Graphisoft?

It wasn't so bad in the days before Title Types in Plotmaker, but now it's really a hassle. Bad enough we have to mask out our file extensions all the time... now we can't call them what we want?

Mac 10.3.1, Archicad 8.1

Thanks!
Tom Waltz
6 REPLIES 6
Djordje
Ace
knacad wrote:
For some reason, our PMK files truncate to be 32 characters (including the ".pmk").
AFAIK this is a backward compatibility limitation.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Djordje wrote:
With these kind of explanation, PC users would still be using file names made of 8 characters !

Sorry, but the name length limitation in EVERY file that AC or PM uses is really annoying (even external bitmap files must follow this rule !!!). When I started using AC I asked why the file name had to be this short, and I was said that this was a Mac compatibility problem...
Djordje
Ace
Geoffroy wrote:
Djordje wrote:
With these kind of explanation, PC users would still be using file names made of 8 characters !
Not since the NT ... but you still have to have the extension.
Sorry, but the name length limitation in EVERY file that AC or PM uses is really annoying (even external bitmap files must follow this rule !!!). When I started using AC I asked why the file name had to be this short, and I was said that this was a Mac compatibility problem...
Agreed; I also have been told that it is a Mac backwards compatibility problem. All I know about it.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Miquel Garcia
Participant
Djordje wrote:
Agreed; I also have been told that it is a Mac backwards compatibility problem. All I know about it.
32 characters was a limitation of the OS previous to OSX. With OSX you can have a title up to 256 characters (I don't know if including extension, but really it does'nt matter)
Miquel
Capella & Garcia Arquitectura
AC18 - AC21, iMac 27" 3.1 Ghz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram, OSX 10.13.1
Anonymous
Not applicable
For what it's worth, the Mac OS 9 (and previous) limitation was 31 characters. For PC compatibilty that meant 27 characters for the file name to allow for the four character extension. Once upon a time 31 characters seemed luxurious compared to to 8 character limit in DOS and Windows.

I assume the residual limitations will be flushed out shortly now that OS9 support has been dropped.

I think the current limit is 255 characters in both Mac OSX and Windows since 95/NT4.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh, one more thing...

The length limitation can be avoided by linking directly to the plan. This also gets rid of the .pmk in the <DRAWINGNAME>.

I was a hold out on the direct linking thing through all three revs of AC8.0/PM3.0. There were too many problems early on, so I waited until AC8.1/PM3.1 to try it again and have been very happy since. It seems that Graphisoft went to such lengths to fix what was wrong with this new feature that it is now consistently superior to the the old way.