cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Problem with the side of labels of finishes when wall is flipped

SPG
Contributor

Problem with the side of labels of finishes when wall is flipped

Correct:

Rotation works properly.

SPG_0-1702991183013.png

Wrong:
The labels doen't flip with the element

With mirror, happens the same.

SPG_2-1702991327427.png

www.spgarquitectura.com
10 REPLIES 10
Barry Kelly

I don't think there is a problem.

Labels are associated to an element and will be in the position you place them.

All good so far.

As you rotate or move the element, the labels will rotate or move with the element.

It is just the association (anchor) point of the label that is moving with the wall.

Whether the label actually rotates to the same angle as the wall or not is dependent on the label settings.

But if you stretch the wall length, the label will not move.

Likewise if you flip the wall or make the wall thinner (change the composite), the labels will not move (they should update to reflect the property they are labelling).

Any edit to the geometry of the wall will not alter the anchor point of the label.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
scottjm
Advisor

As Barry said, the label anchor point won't move when you flip or rotate a wall.

To achieve what you want you would need to adjust you GDL code in the label to recognise when you have mirrored the reference line and draw the label accordingly.

scottjm_0-1703050663103.png

Scott J. Moore | Fulton Trotter Architects | BIM Manager, Associate, Architect
Since AC13 | Current versions AC23.7000 & AC26.5002 | BIMCloud Basic | Python, GDL, VBA, PHP, SQL, CSS
Certified Graphisoft BIM Manger (2022)
Win 10, i9-9900K, 32GB, Quadro P2200, 500GB NVMe

It's a problem for me because I want to annotate the finishes of a hundreds of walls by once and many walls has the label in the wrong side.

I can rotate 180 a wall in the centre, the anchor points has doesn't changed and the labels flipped correctly.

I don't see the point of the default behaviour of the label is not according to the flipping feature.

www.spgarquitectura.com

Is the label one you have created or is it a default label from the Graphisoft library (if so which one - just the 'surface label')?

When you place the label, does it automatically give you the material for the side of the wall you click?

The default surface label can not do that as far as I know.

Or are you telling it to give you the material on the outside surface, placing the label and then saying to label the inside surface and then placing another label.

In which case it does not matter which side of the wall you click on - you are just labelling that particular surface value of the wall.

The label is just associated to the wall, and not a particular part of the wall, and as mentioned if you adjust the geometry of the wall, the label will not care.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Thanks for the reply.

It's a default property label (one for each side of the wall mirroring the label and saving it as favorite for each side interior/external).

I think it's and issue that the label doesn't flip with the wall, it would be a great improvement for auto labeling. Hope it would be solved soon.

@scottjm I can't find how to solve in the GDL script..

www.spgarquitectura.com

@SPG wrote:

It's a default property label (one for each side of the wall mirroring the label and saving it as favorite for each side interior/external).

OK so it seems as I thought.

You are telling the label what property to label and then you are telling it where to place the label.

Clicking on different sides of the wall and in different positions will place the same label, just in a different spot.

The anchor of the label is associated to the point you click to place it, but that is all.

It will not flip as you flip the wall.

The GDL path will be a tricky one even for an experienced scripter.

Sure you will be able to recognise if the wall is flipped or not.

But I am not sure if you would successfully be able to tell the label to use a different anchor point.

Not only would you have to move the anchor by the wall thickness, you would also have to swap from top justified to bottom justified, or bottom to top (assuming they are the justifications you have used).

But you can still place the label on any side of the wall and it will give you the same surface, so i don't think you will win the GDL battle.

I could be wrong though.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Hi Barry,

How can I select the flipped walls?

There is no option in find and select.

I am talking about hundred of them in a Hospital floor... It can't be done manually without errors...

There ir a way to change the direction of a wall?

SPG_0-1703066718339.pngSPG_1-1703066747760.png

www.spgarquitectura.com

You can not select a flipped wall with find & select.

The command Scott mentioned is a GDL command but I doubt it will help.

When you move or rotate a wall, the anchor point of the label will move or rotate with the wall.

That is why the labels look correct.

When you flip the wall, you are editing the geometry of the wall.

This does not affect the anchor of the label which is why they don’t move.

You can invert the direction of a wall, command is in the edit menu somewhere ( I don’t have Archicad open at the moment so can’t say exactly where).

But I don’t think it will help you.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Inverting the direction of the wall helped, the labels flipped and placed properly, still it's a manual action without the find/select option.

I still thinking it's an issue to solve in a future update... Maybe doing that, fixing when you flip an element, also invert it's own direction. That would solve the problem without any modification of the label tool.

www.spgarquitectura.com