Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Rookie question: black and white elevations

Mimsy
Booster
Sorry, real rookie question: I'm trying to get my elevations to be plain black and white. No matter what I do, I seem to get black and grey. I want the symbol fill (brick, roof tiling etc.) to show, but the background fill to be white. I've tried setting all my building material surface colours to white, but in the elevation the elements still appear as light grey. I've fiddled endlessly with the elevation model appearance settings but nothing is working. How do I get plain elevations?

Thanks
Mimsy
AC24 Australia | Windows 10 64 bit | IC3D Workstation, 64GB RAM, 4.9GHz i9 core
6 REPLIES 6
Dave Seabury
Advocate
Mimsy

You need to look into Pen Tables. You can create a pen table for printing that is
all black and white and assign it when you place your drawing on the layout sheet.

If you have a pen table that you like (weights and colors) you can make a copy of it
and over ride the colors to be black, don't over ride the pen 91 as that is the white
background pen if you started with one of the AC pen sets. If you are using a grey
pen for background of any of your fills, you will need to make that white as well for
printing.

David
AC 19-24 Windows 10 64 bit, Dell Prercision 7820, Xeon Silver 2414R ( 12 Cores), 64 GB Ram, Quadro RTX 4000 8GB
Mimsy
Booster
Thanks David. I created a pen set that is black and white and set all fills to white, assigned it to my elevations and I'm still getting grey background fills. There is no grey left in the pen set yet I'm getting grey fills?
(EDIT) - if it helps to see visually, this is the modified pen set I'm still getting grey fills with:
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Mimsy:

This is how I get black & white elevations. I am not sure how this will work with your workflow. The Elevation Settings as in the screen shot. I then select the placed View on the Layout and set the Drawing Settings > Size and Appearance > Colors: Black and White.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Mimsy
Booster
Thanks David - yes, being able to see what version of the software I have would be very useful!

In the elevation settings, I get the option for cut line pen but not cut fill pen. However, I'll try changing the profile I'm using and see if I get different options.
Mimsy
Booster
Ah! All figured out. Thanks very much for the helpful advice. Much appreciated

David Maudlin
Rockstar
Mimsy:

Glad you got it working. Thanks for adding your signature.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14