BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

Window & Door Transparency in Plotmaker 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have started to use v9 for production. Something strange is happening on one of the designers jobs that I'm not experiencing myself and I can't figure it out.
We have windows and doors that are showing OK in AC9 yet showing as transparent in PM9. Seems to be something with the views? We can't quite figure it out. The drawing was an existing 8.1 pln that was opened in v9 and then saved. Some of the pieces were saved but most everything was redrawn. Any clues?

Chris
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, we have had the same problem. We have our model in 8.1 and the LBK in PM9. However, we've noticed that it only happens on certain computers in the office. For example, if my co-worker updates the drawings the windows and doors appear, but they disappear when I update the drawings. Maybe try updating the drawings on different computers in the office...it might be a way to work around the problem.

We think it may have something to do with the libraries associated with BGAC (BG ArchiCAD) for PM9. I opened BGAC and added the 8.1 library in the library manager, but its had no effect. We're still searching for a solution...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Don,

We found out how to fix this. You will need to turn off Transparency in Shading from the 3D Window settings. Then you will need to redefine your viewsets. These can be configured independantly.
You can find some info on this if you do a search in the Help file.

Chris
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Chris, but that didn't help any. We've tried redefining view sets, layer combinations, we checked to make sure that windows and door will appear in plan (under display options). I can see the windows and doors in AC, but they are lost when transfered to PM. they appear as blank spots in the walls in the LBK. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Thanks
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
It is true that transparency setting in AC9 is now a piece of information that is saved with Views. This was not so in AC 8.1 and earlier. So I would keep searching in this direction.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
What we did was regenerate the elevation, turned off the transparency, then updated the view. Worked for us. There are also transparency settings in the Display options. I beleive the bottom tab. Sorry, I'm not into AC at the time.

Chris
If I am getting it right there are two subjects to the thread:

- regarding transparency in glass, resaving the views after having switched the 3D window settings did work for me (open each view -which will set 3D transparency to 'on' each time, in my case), change the 3D window setting, resave the view; I would have never figured this out without this thread so thanks very much everybody;

- regarding disappearing doors and windows it sounds like a Display Options setting ended up inadvertently saved in the view; but I don't understand how that can happen if the same file and the same view are saved on one computer and not happen if they are opened-saved in some other computer.

By the way, the idea of setting transparency for the elevation views through the 3D window is totally counterintuitive, and the fact that Transparency does not show in View Settings & Storing Options in View Editor/Publisher makes it perverse. GS should correct this in an update.
Anonymous
Not applicable
the following is more like my case:
..."disappearing doors and windows it sounds like a Display Options setting ended up inadvertently saved in the view; but I don't understand how that can happen if the same file and the same view are saved on one computer and not happen if they are opened-saved in some other computer."

like i said we think it has something to do with BGAC for PM9 and the Libraries associated with it, but we haven't been able to figure it out.
so far we have only been able to get around it by updating the LBK using one comuter in the office that some how brings the windows & doors back when we update the the drawings in the LBK. its a plan view not an elevation or other 3D view....so not quite the same problem Chris is having.

we've tried all the usual & wierd computer fixes (like renaming views, turning on/off the program, reimporting the view, checked the display options to assure doors and windows are on in plan view, etc.) any suggestions are appreciated!
Anonymous
Not applicable
we have some to find that the problem is happening w/ all library parts. doors, windows, toilets, bath tubs, sinks, etc. pretty sure it has something to do with the libraries, but not sure yet how to correct the issue.
Djordje
Ace
dkg wrote:
we have some to find that the problem is happening w/ all library parts. doors, windows, toilets, bath tubs, sinks, etc. pretty sure it has something to do with the libraries, but not sure yet how to correct the issue.
Please describe your library management
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Learn and get certified!