cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License Delivery maintenance is expected to occur on Saturday, October 19, between 4 and 6 PM CEST. This may cause a short 60-minute outage in which license-related tasks: license key upload, download, update, SSA validation, access to the license pool may not function properly. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Documentation
About Archicad's documenting tools, views, model filtering, layouts, publishing, etc.

print trace

Dave Brach
Expert
I would love to be able to put a trace reference on a layout and have it print to pdf
Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
16 REPLIES 16
Karl Ottenstein
Dave wrote:
Is there any way to get trace reference to show using the publisher set, instead of printing an individual layout by going to "File" then "print"? I typically use the publisher set to print all pdf layouts.
Yes, simply by placing two (or more) drawings, each based on a SAVED view, on top of one another on the layout.

This was the old trick for 20 years or so until we got Graphics overrides in order to get different appearances for different elements in a layout. But, it works for anytime that a single view does not have all of the model elements that you want to show on the layout.

The key is that hotspots are still snappable between drawings on a layout - making it easy to perfectly align two drawings. If no common geometry is showing in each drawing/view for correctly aligning/snapping ... then use the Hotspot tool (asterisk icon) to place a hotspot on the Archicad layer in some obvious location. Hotspots never print, but such a hotspot will always be visible for snapping purposes.
One of the forum moderators
AC 28 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Dave wrote:
my other problem is that the trace reference view is set to renovation filter "planned status" but it shows up in the published pdf as "show all".
That's not really possible if indeed it is a properly saved view in the view map ... and the drawing placed on the layout is created from that view via drag and drop or however.

A proper view, when the settings are examined, has a NAME or value for every single field - and NEVER has "missing" or "custom" anywhere.
One of the forum moderators
AC 28 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Stress Co_
Advisor
Dave wrote:
Is there any way to get trace reference to show using the publisher set, instead of printing an individual layout by going to "File" then "print"? I typically use the publisher set to print all pdf layouts.
Are you using publisher to "Print" (to a printer) or creating PDF's? Either way yes. See attached.

Dave wrote:
my other problem is that the trace reference view is set to renovation filter "planned status" but it shows up in the published pdf as "show all".
Does it appear correct onscreen before publishing?
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Dave Brach
Expert
this is what it looks like on screen
Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
Dave Brach
Expert
this is what the pdf looks like. You can see there are a couple houses and some street curb cuts on "to be demolished" status that show up only in the pdf
Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
Dave Brach
Expert
Karl, I am placing a floor plan view on the layout, which is a view saved in the view map. And then I am using the site plan (which is a saved view) as a trace reference in the layout. Maybe this is a roundabout way to do it, but this way I don't need to place two views on the layout, and also it's nice because I can have my floor plans at 1/4" scale, and the site plan can stay at 1/8" or 3/32" or whatever, but I can see the floor plan in the context of the site. In any case, the site plan renovation filter is not translating to the published pdf.
Dave Brach/architect
AC26 MBP OS Ventura
Stress Co_
Advisor
Dave wrote:
this is what the pdf looks like. You can see there are a couple houses and some street curb cuts on "to be demolished" status that show up only in the pdf
What happens if you create a new layout with the view you used for the trace as the drawing... does it print (PDF) with the correct Reno filter?

Not that it will solve the problem, but may help to trouble shoot. I've no idea why it would print different.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)