Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

A couple things that would make my life more efficient

Anonymous
Not applicable
is there a keyboard shortcut (or way to create one) that allows me to quickly change the User Origin faster than having to move the mouse all the way over to the corner of the screen. it would really improve the speed of menial measuring i.e. press key, then click where i want the new origin.

and second, is there any way to simply 'grab and drag' the workspace rather than using the arrow keys or mousewheel?

thanks for any suggestions. i really appreciate it.
6 REPLIES 6
Dwight
Newcomer
A temporary user origin is placed on any hot spot with alt/option shift.

For a PAN: I have a mouse with a scroll wheel - you push down on the wheel and drag the view.

Where is your documentation?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for the help...i apologize for the stupid questions.
Anonymous
Not applicable
TheBlatt wrote:
...it would really improve the speed of menial measuring i.e. press key, then click where i want the new origin.
A faster way is to just click-drag an object from A to B. Then without clicking a second time, read the value in the R box (or X, or Y, or A). Quicker than playing around with the Origin.
TomWaltz
Participant
Sergio wrote:
TheBlatt wrote:
...it would really improve the speed of menial measuring i.e. press key, then click where i want the new origin.
A faster way is to just click-drag an object from A to B. Then without clicking a second time, read the value in the R box (or X, or Y, or A). Quicker than playing around with the Origin.
What if it's not in your workspace?

I think it might take longer to change work spaces than to press "Alt-shift"
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:

I don't work with different workspaces, but in that case, you could just select the line tool (shortcut key), click & move mouse/measure, & hit ESC when done...

Personally I hate seeing that icon move all over. And besides, in my case those same two keys also switch my international keyboard layout and makes other shortcuts problematic (until I realize what the problem is). So to each their own, I guess. It's a matter of what the current options/headaches are that you have to deal with.

Now then, to simplify this topic, I believe your suggestion above is also great...
TomWaltz
Participant
Sergio wrote:
TomWaltz wrote:

I don't work with different workspaces, but in that case, you could just select the line tool (shortcut key), click & move mouse/measure, & hit ESC when done...
Again, what if the section or detail is not in your workspace? Then you cannot draw anything....

Call me crazy, but I prefer solutions that work as often as possible.

The closest to your idea I've seen (I think from Millard) was to use the Marquee tool instead of the line tool.... which does work almost anywhere I've found.
Tom Waltz