Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.
SOLVED!

ARCHICAD 27 - Slow zoom and pan

HK ARCHITECTURE
Contributor

Hi,

I recently been using Archicad 27 and i clearly notice that this version is very slow when i pan and zoom (in or out) in 2D. It seems to get worse the more time i spend working and the more object the project has displayed. This does not happen in 3D. The zoom is slower when the mouse is over an object or wall or something...I worked before on Archicad 25 and never had this issue. The PC specs are good : I9 13900KF, RTX 3090, 64GB RAM, SSD disks...

Can someone give me some advice to what's seems to be happening here ?

Thanks !

HK ARCHITECTURE - Kévin PAIVA (France / Portugal)
Archicad 27
Windows 11 / I9 13900KF / RTX 3090 / 64GB RAM DDR4 / UltraWide Monitor
21 REPLIES 21
Botonis
Advisor

So I gave one more try and reverted back to the OPENGL API.

It seems that the antialising performane of DirectX is far more better and the graphics are far more clearer. I have been working with DirectX API since the beginning of 27 (In 26 there was a serious problem with text fonts so I had enabled the OpenGL API) and now that I tried for once more the registry fix I realised that texts and lines look much clearer and detailed with DirectX.

I guess this improvement has a performance cost.

OpenGL gives thicker lines. I prefer the DirectX API. Maybe I got used to it....

OPENGL NO ANTIALISINGOPENGL NO ANTIALISINGDIRECTX NO ANTIALISINGDIRECTX NO ANTIALISINGOPENGL WITH ANTIALISINGOPENGL WITH ANTIALISINGDIRECTX WITH ANTIALISINGDIRECTX WITH ANTIALISING

Botonis Botonakis
Civil Engineer, Enviromental Design MSc., BIM Manager for BS ArhitectsVR
Company or personal website
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.
TMA_80
Enthusiast

The worst part is, even in the 2d area where archicad used to shine, Revit 2024 on the same old machine, without changing any registry key or settings is performing way way better that ArchiCAD 27 does ( I won't even talk about trace reference performance here) ...I was shocked.

AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
MASz
Enthusiast

Personally I just stick to the old drawing infrastructure with no anti-aliasing. Seems like the most reliable solution. 

AC27 AUS, Windows 11, i9-13900KF, RTX3090, 128GB DDR5, 4k144 display

I'm having exactly the same issue on the intel Mac version of 27solo. We were kind of forced to upgrade from 22solo due to compatibility with newer versions of macOS.  

Drawings that were perfectly fine in 22 are now near unusable if there is a DWG underlaid. Tried altering the Plist file (mac's version of the registry editor) as explained above but it made it worse! any idea whether there's another underlying cause? 

We've had to adjust our advanced redraw options to structural contours only, which is ok but a much less smooth experience than we had with much older software. 

Archicad 27 Solo

Mac OS 12.7.4 (intel)

Be sure to get your local support involved.

See what they have to say about it.

Also you might want to update your signature that still says Archicad 21.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thanks Barry, must've set up my signature when we originally switched over to AC and never touched it again!

We contacted local support and they were stumped as to the issue as they couldn't get it to occur at their end. All three of the systems here have the same issue. I'm yet to try on my personal MacBook Pro thats on apple silicone to see if the ARM version is any better... could be just our iMacs are getting old but it's frustrating they were fine on the much older software. 

Archicad 27 Solo

Mac OS 12.7.4 (intel)

I guess it is inevitable when the software becomes complicated and depands more resources (speed-graphics-calculations etc) that older hardware will not handle the demands.

Botonis Botonakis
Civil Engineer, Enviromental Design MSc., BIM Manager for BS ArhitectsVR
Company or personal website
Archicad 27. Windows 11. Intel Xeon 2699x2,64 GB RAM, Nvidia 3080Ti. 2 Monitors.

jdub:

Please let me know your results if you run it on the Apple Silicon.  I've also had these slow redraw problems, on an Intel MacBook Pro (i9 processor from 2019) and am stepping back to ArchiCAD 25 to see if it helps (nothing else has worked) as ArchiCAD 26 has the same problem.

I agree that I shouldn't have this problem on hardware that was less than 2 years old when AC27 came out.

Thanks for anything you discover, 

Joel

AC 6.5-27; macOS Sonoma; 2019 MacBook Pro 2.4gHz, i9

@joelsdgI tried a few files tonight that were particularly slow and they are running smoothly on my 2021 MacBook Pro with an M1pro chip (8 core base model). When I ran the file direct from a usb there was a lot of ghosting and artefacts left over in a strip across the top of the screen but when I dragged the folder to the desktop they ran perfectly. 

With regard to 26 having the same issue I read that it was updated how AC handles visuals an edition earlier on Mac than windows, which may be why 26 is still having trouble for us on the intel chips when windows users are only getting issues in 27.

I will contact my local support again with a link to this thread and the windows solution to see if it helps them diagnose the issue. 

Archicad 27 Solo

Mac OS 12.7.4 (intel)
joelsdg
Enthusiast

Thanks jdub, I appreciate your effort.  

Part of me is glad it's not just me having these problems.  I don't suspect we'll ever get an update to either 26 or 27 that helps us.

Also, part of me is irritated that AC26 or 27 don't run on a laptop that has the "Recommended Configuration" from Graphisoft's own webpages for building "High End Projects" like hospitals when all I'm building are single-family residences.  Maybe I'm gullible.

Joel

AC 6.5-27; macOS Sonoma; 2019 MacBook Pro 2.4gHz, i9