Due to a scheduled maintenance, a maximum 20 minutes license delivery outage may be expected on July 6 2024 (Saturday) between 6PM to 8PM (CEST).
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

NEWBIE QUESTION

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, i'm new to this forum and actually very new to Archicad.
Alittle history of myself, i'm a 3d modeler using 3dsmax and photoshop for post production work.
I do photorealistic renderings for a company called Vortex Aquatic Structures International, i have been here for about 3 yrs now and i want to move on.

So i decided to give architural renderings a shot but i don't have a clue how to use it.

I have acouple question id you don't mind me asking..
your renderings are done in Archicad and is it rendered in 3dsmax or another third party application or is it all rendered in archicad.?
Archicad has Radiosity feature when rendering ?

Can models created in 3dsmax be imported into archicad or vise vera ?

Aldo wanted to knwo if any of you guys now if there's a dvd or cd training module out there that i may purchase to learn it..?

thanks for your time. !
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
howard wrote:
your renderings are done in Archicad and is it rendered in 3dsmax or another third party application or is it all rendered in archicad.?
ArchiCAD has the Lightworks engine (as well as a basic Phong engine) for rendering but unfortunately without radiosity. For that you still need to export to Cinema4D, 3DS Max or such.
3DS import and export are both supported (the former by an add-on). There are limitations due to the differences in the programs. 3DS is just a modeling/rendering format whereas ArchiCAD is a building modeler (3D is only part of what it does). So you will typically get better results from exporting than importing. I have had excellent result exporting 3DS to Cinema4D, but I believe there is now an add-on that exports directly to it.
Also wanted to know if any of you guys now if there's a dvd or cd training module out there that i may purchase to learn it..?
I have been hearing good things about the Virtual Tutor disk for AC9. (I'll have to take a look at it myself some time.) You should be able to get it from your dealer.

BTW: I have used the Vortex play structures on a couple of projects and was wishing that 3D models were available. Are there any that can be had? 3DS would be fine (though it would be really great to have them as native ArchiCAD).
Dwight
Newcomer

--- All in LightWorks rendering engine in ArchiCAD.

--- NO.

--- SORT OF. Lot of material surfacing/ mapping direction work necessary.

LightWorks a good renderer for development of design but final professional renderings should be done in a professional rendering application such as you are already using. Many reasons for that.

If you want to learn LightWorks to render design development, consult the book "LightWorks in ArchiCAD" available from me - see my signature for ordering instructions.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
howard wrote:

In my case:
Build in ArchiCAD, render on ArtLantisR. really cant bother with Lightohsomuchworks(sorry Dwight).
ArtLantis imports 3ds objects just neat, and turns them into native objects that can be reused with a click. here are some examples.
ArtLantis has Radiosity, and yes it is fast.