Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Precise movement, a set distance

Anonymous
Not applicable
If I have an object and I would like it moved a precise distance away from where it is currently placed, what is the best technique for moving it to the new location? I know about the 'distance', 'percent', 'divide' and 'half' buttons but I don't think they work for what I need. Say I have a toilet and the center/back insertion point of it is in a drawing at the edge of another object and I need it offset from that object by 2'3"... how?

Also, if I am going to create an object is there a way to move its insertion point a known distance, say 12", from the insertion point in the objects dialogue box preview window?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Dwight
Newcomer
1: Offset relative to another thing:

establish the drag using the cursor point as your reference. Drag to the reference point on the other object. With the dragged object still "live," create a temoprary origin at that reference point by pressing SHIFT OPTION together. See the origin shift.

Then input the new coordinates for the dragged object.
x,y, or a, r.

I believe this is in the training guide.

2: insertion point is insertion point. You can use GDL to create offset hotspots if you find enough modular repetition in your object.Otherwise, place and drag as above.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
BTW: This works with either relative or absolute coordinate methods.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
So, you redefine the 'user origin' to the edge of the object that you want to stay put... then you highlight the object (the one to be moved) by selecting a corner (or 'hotspot'), then right click and choose 'drag'...select the object's hotspot again and start dragging it in the direction you want to take it...then type 'r' plus the distance, say 2'3" and hit 'enter'... viola.

Okay, thanks.
Dwight
Newcomer
I kow that it seems like many tricky steps. Especially when it is not on axis and you need to lock the radial....
Dwight Atkinson
Djordje
Ace
Philip wrote:
If I have an object and I would like it moved a precise distance away from where it is currently placed,
Use relative coordinates.

Drag the object, keep the cursor that is grabbing the object at the point you wish to reference from, type xvalue+, to move horizontally to the right, xvalue+ yvalue+ or minus ...

For example: you want to place a door 10cm from a corner in a horizontal wall. Activate door tool, choose end insertion point, place the cursor at the corner, type x10+ and press enter.

For non-orthogonal movement, Measure is probably the best option. Don't froget it also works in empty space, after you define the angle vector.

This is more easily shown than described, and I am wondering why is it not explained FIRST to every new user ?!??
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen