Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Problems with ArchiCAD StarT Edition add-ons.

Jere
Expert
Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I work in a small architectural firm with one architect and two technologists (myself included.) I finally convinced my boss -- after 5 years with AutoDesk products -- to make the switch to ArchiCAD. The major factor was the availability of the new ArchiCAD StarT Edition at a price of only $1995 Cdn per license. We also purchase a couple of add-ons including ArchiGlazing 1.6 and ArchiPanel (from Cigraph.)

Haven't even started producing drawings yet and I'm already having problems.

1. ArchiPanel:
The program has installed fine. It's been "serialized" properly. When i try to make a panel, <poof!> ArchiCAD quits on me. Any ideas?

2. ArchiGlazing:
The ArchiGlazing product I have (v. 1.6) is for ArchiCAD 8. My reseller tells me that ArchiCAD StarT Edition is basically ArchiCAD 8 and that all plugins for AC8 will work with AC SE. However, under the Add-ons Manager i get an error message stating that ArchiGlazing is not compatible with that version.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

p.s. be prepared for many more questions. It's my intent to become an ArchiCAD master!
ArchiCAD 26; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 64GB RAM, GeForce GTX 3060
7 REPLIES 7
Are you using the 8.1 version of the Plug-In? Is there an 8.1 version of this particular plug-in?

I've been compiling a list of Add-Ons and Libraries that will and won't work with StarT. As a general rule all plug-ins compiled for version 9.1 should work. The exception found so far is ArchiGlazing.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-5030 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.5
__archiben
Booster
Jere wrote:
p.s. be prepared for many more questions. It's my intent to become an ArchiCAD master!
uh oh. another one.
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Jere wrote:
My reseller tells me that ArchiCAD StarT Edition is basically ArchiCAD 8 and that all plugins for AC8 will work with AC SE.
Is that so?
I thought the Starter Edition is based on ArchiCAD 8.1.
It is easy to tell. If you have Display Options Combinations available in the Display Options Dialog, it is based on 8.1 since that was a new feature in 8.1.
Also, I would tend to think Graphisoft used 8.1 since it was a more advanced and more stable version than ArchiCAD 8.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Jere
Expert
you are correct. My reseller did say it was based on 8.1. I just said 8 because I assumed anything that works for 8 works for 8.1. Is that a wrong assumption?

In fact, I have ArchiGlazing 1.6. It says it is for "ArchiCAD 8". I wonder if there is a version for AC8.1.

Aaron: I also purchased Door & Window Builder and Cabinet Builder. Cabinet Builder works fine, but Door & Window Builder does not. However, myself and the AC reseller believe that I may have received the wrong version of D&WB. So I'm looking into that. I'll let you know the outcome.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I know the API has been consistently updated with each new version, incorporating in the API the new features of the version. So I can imagine - although I am not familiar with API programming - that in case of some of the Add-Ons, the AC 8 Add-On needs to be recompiled to work correctly with AC 8.1.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Jere
Expert
Just an update for those who may also be installing ArchiCAD StarT Edition. In fact the problem was as laszlonagy suspected. I was given ArchiGlazing 1.6. When the reseller provided me with ArchiGlazing 1.7, everything worked perfectly.

I have not fixed the problem in ArchiPanel, but i'll keep you posted. I can run the add-on properly using the built-in parametric panels, but making a new panel still causes it to quit.
Hope Springs Eternal. I see that CIGRAPH did create a version of ArchiPanel for 8.1. That alone suggests that a solution can be found.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-5030 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.5