Due to a scheduled maintenance, a maximum 20 minutes license delivery outage may be expected on July 6 2024 (Saturday) between 6PM to 8PM (CEST).
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Calculation and GDL

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi to all.
Is there a simple way to add calculation data to objects?
I know enough GDL to make the elements I need, but after a number of try studying the calculation manual I feel ... stupid. I simply don't get it.
The "Component" and "Description" scripts, reading the GDL User Manual, stay also unclear.
I need some input.

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Give us a simple example of what result you want to achieve and we can give you some ideas of howto achieve it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
sinceV6
Advocate
Klingon wrote:
Hi to all.
Is there a simple way to add calculation data to objects?
I know enough GDL to make the elements I need, but after a number of try studying the calculation manual I feel ... stupid. I simply don't get it.
The "Component" and "Description" scripts, reading the GDL User Manual, stay also unclear.
I need some input.

Thanks
Do not take this as 100% accurate. This is from memory of read information and tutorial videos...

You'll want to add a menu with the related commands in the work environment if you haven't done so already.

In simple terms: (and referring to setting calc data inside objects)

If you want to use the "Component" and "Descriptor" parts in the library parts.-
You should use/create a database, that contains your descriptors and components.
Once you have that, open up your object and, for example, in components, click new: this will then give you the option to either select the database and put it the details such as code, etc. or link the item to a database entry; and depending on that, you must enter the remaining info so that the component you added has the correct values (for example, if you link "paint" then you can make it proportional to "surface A")

If you want to use the properties script.-
You can create Descriptors and Components in the Properties script using the keywords from the GDL reference manual that relates to that script (in the Non-geometric scripts part), but I'm not sure how that shows up in the object.

If you want to link properties objects.-
You can also create Properties objects (as Property subtypes), that only have Descriptors and Components and you link those to already existing library parts using the settings.

This should let you derive model quantities according to your linked data, either through the lists or component schedules.

This is a playlist that goes through this more in depth. It's in spanish though. But if you already know GDL and have a decent knowledge of AC, you can just follow visually.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkPRizz5C7bzVk9KrzCg3_CWLu_1yj--n

Hope that helps a bit.

Best regards.
Nader Belal
Mentor
Is there any example for the use of property script in GDL library and what would be the results when it's called ????
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
There is one example here:

http://gdl.graphisoft.com/gdl-docs/gdl-guide/chapter-9-non-geometric-scripts/the-properties-script/

If you go over to the GDL Forums at http://gdl.graphisoft.com/forums/ they may be able to help you faster. GDL questions seem to migrate over there nowadays as that's where the Graphisoft GDL developers are, answering questions.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Nader Belal
Mentor
Thank you
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.