Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Get the Modular Joinery object!

Thomas Holm
Booster
I'd just like to push this http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=135321#135321
a little more.

Ralph Wessel has created a hugely flexible window/door/panel/storefront/curtain wall GDL object, called Modular Joinery. It was commissioned by Graphisoft U K and is distributed to their Archicad subscribers, and for similar purpose to other distributors.

I've been using it for a week or so now, and I find it extraordinarily good, and something I've been wishing to have for a long time. Not only is the object itself working very well, it also has a new, simple yet very creative and useful UI (user interface), and also comes with a 22-page user manual!

If you have an Archicad subscription, immediately ask your distributor to supply you with this GDL object, and if he/she doesn't have it, to get it from Graphisoft U.K.!

I'd also like to send my sincere thanks to Graphisoft U K who've had the wit to engage one of the most distinguished GDL programmers for this task, and to share it with the user community this way. And of course, to Ralph!
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
145 REPLIES 145
Thomas Holm
Booster
laszlonagy wrote:
How did you obtain it in previous versions?
From bimcomponents.com?
Or from your reseller?
It is probably obtainable from the same source as before.
To be honest, I've got so many versions of it now, including one for AC16, I don't remember how I got that particular one.
But judging from previous posts in this thread, it at least has been available on Bimcomponents. But I can't find it there now, despite having a legit log-in.
- Do you need some special qualification on your log-in (for subscribers)?
- Do you know if it's at all available?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think you should ask your local reseller about this.
If I remember correctly even when it was made available on bimcomponents.com, it was made available only in certain territories or localized versions. So I think your local reseller should know about its status.

But I have another question: Why is the AC16 version not good? Can't you use THAT in your AC17 projects (just in case there is no newer version)?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Thomas Holm
Booster
laszlonagy wrote:
I think you should ask your local reseller about this.
If I remember correctly even when it was made available on bimcomponents.com, it was made available only in certain territories or localized versions. So I think your local reseller should know about its status.
I still think GS is making a mistake regarding the MJO. It SHOULD be distributed with all standard libraries, if not for any other reason than to show a gorgeous example of what GDL - and Archicad - is capable of.

Some resellers don't really understand that, despite that the object originally was commissioned by Graphisoft Britain to do things (I.e. Velfac doors/windows) that weren't possible to do otherwise within Archicad.
laszlonagy wrote:
But I have another question: Why is the AC16 version not good? Can't you use THAT in your AC17 projects (just in case there is no newer version)?
I haven't dared to try that. Projects with MJO doors/windows previously created in earlier versions retain them and they still work fine and stay in place when you convert the project, and those MJOs are possible to duplicate.

But up to now, I think each new version of Archicad has required a new MJO for creation and placement of new win/doors with new parameters.
In that respect, the MJO creation module (which you [when installed] find like any object in the door or window tool) works like an add-on, i.e. it needs to be updated.

I guess that's because it has hooks into the main Archicad and GDLinterpreter who need to be improved with version changes.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Thomas wrote:
But up to now, I think each new version of Archicad has required a new MJO for creation and placement of new win/doors with new parameters.
In that respect, the MJO creation module (which you [when installed] find like any object in the door or window tool) works like an add-on, i.e. it needs to be updated.

I guess that's because it has hooks into the main Archicad and GDLinterpreter who need to be improved with version changes.
I see, I didn't know that, I have never used it actually. By I agree: from what I saw of it it is an awesome piece of GDL.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Thomas Holm
Booster
laszlonagy wrote:
I see, I didn't know that, I have never used it actually. By I agree: from what I saw of it it is an awesome piece of GDL.
Absolutely. With its modular nature, it scales the placed win/door objects it creates according to their complexity. No excess GDL is run.

I had a medium-sized (22 condos) house with only simple rectangular windows where it rendered and redrew in about half the time when I replaced the ordinary Archicad window objects with MJOs.

At the same time, it allows you to create very complex and intricate storefronts/curtain walls should you find it appropriate.
Thomas Holm
Booster
OK, I'm sorry, I obviously did something wrong the other day. Now, I've managed to download the Modular Joinery Object for AC17 through the Door & Window tools and Bimcomponents.

The duplicate download issue (detailed in previous posts) is still a problem, though. I've deleted the "Modular Window Parts (Do not modify)" folder as well as a LibraryGlobals13.gsm file within the "Modular Door Parts (Do not modify)" folder, and now the object still seems to work, while the duplicate problem has gone. I hope that was the right thing to do.
laszlonagy wrote:
I have a question:
Can't one just delete one or the other of the MJO macro folders from the Embedded Library? If they contain the exact same GSM files both the MJO Door and Window object refers to by name, then it will find them anyway, won't it?
And then the duplicate problem involving these macros will be gone and there will also not be any issue of which instance the program uses if a macro is modified.
Or am I missing something?

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!