cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

How to make a window look like a door?

rob2218
Enthusiast
Here's my dilemma?
I need to make a window have 'adjustable' top, bottom, and side rails? how do I do this?
I don't just want "fixed" same size all around for the frame...I need the window to function like a door object were we can adjust the top, bottom, and side rails of a doors panel.
how can I do this?
Also, if I can NOT adjust the windows rails to be different, then how can I make a door tag be a "hexagon"? right now the door tag is "greyed out" therefore I can NOT change the shape of the door tag.

(see attached).
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
10 REPLIES 10
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
It is possible to model custom Windows Sashes and use that with most of the default ArchiCAD Windows. That is one way of doing it. (The custom Windows Sash will not be parametric.)
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
rob2218
Enthusiast
OK, understood. So, instead of having to use a "static" custom sash....how else can I make the side, top and bottom rails (frame) for a window be different? What I'm running into is that the architect wants a "window" to look just like his doors but be windows. I found out yesterday that if you change the "door tag type" to a different you have access to different symbols shapes...ie hex, square, etc. but other than that......how else?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I am afraid if you want parametric Window Sashes you would have to modify the scripts of those GDL Objects.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
rob2218
Enthusiast
ok Lasz.....I thought that was the case I just needed confirmation. You know how it goes on the AC software, there are a million ways to skin that cat so I thought I'd ask to see if by any chance there was some solution.

thanks,
at least I got half the question solved with the hex symbol tag using a different door tag symbol.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Karl Ottenstein
Just curious Rob... in your example, you're showing a fixed door panel adjacent to an operable door. That's a pretty standard US patio door configuration. Why do you want the fixed panel considered a 'window'? The manufacturer would mull them together as one 'door' unit...
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rob2218
Enthusiast
well...you have a point.
I just wanted to use a "window" object for the "window" part of the mulled pieces rather than use a "door object".
that's all. I wanted to tag the door and window as one tag and be on the schedule, which by the way....that's another question I have for down the line. how to get two doors to read as one door mulled together on the door schedule so I only have "ONE" door number (tag) assigned to both doors.

But yes, I suppose it would be 2 doors, one operable, the other not, mulled together as one.
Karl wrote:
Just curious Rob... in your example, you're showing a fixed door panel adjacent to an operable door. That's a pretty standard US patio door configuration. Why do you want the fixed panel considered a 'window'? The manufacturer would mull them together as one 'door' unit...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Karl Ottenstein
I used the Cadimage Door/Window tool to create a door like that - one of their standard 'styles' - single inswing French. The advantage there is that it is a single element for scheduling, and if you do a graphic schedule showing an elevation or plan view - the graphics will be correct.

Trying to mull things together in AC can give the appearance you need for plan/elevation/3D - but as you note, makes schedules problematic. If you only have text schedules, you can choose to omit the fixed door panel for example - but if you display the actual RO or unit width, it will be wrong - as it will only show the operable unit. If you want to do a graphic schedule, the assembly just won't show. You'll have to fake it with manual drawing overlays.

It is frustrating that Graphisoft has not recognized such basic, standard functionality and offered it by now ... leaving us instead to have to buy the much too expensive (due to having to pay again for each release - or go on subscription) Cadimage solutions. The last time I used Cadimage doors/windows was version 15 ... and at that point, they were missing a lot of basic functionality found in the standard library, such a different width trim for vertical vs horizontal. Nothing then gave 100% of what was needed.

Edit: PS I didn't look at your plan view. I see now the 2 left panels are both fixed and the adjacent door is a double-operable 'french' door. Same issue... just not the single inswing French with fixed panel that I was rambling about.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
rob2218
Enthusiast
Only thing about CadIMage Karl is the cost. it's prohibitively expensive.
Graphisoft should take clues from these guys though. they have some nice add-ons.
Wouldnt' be surprised if they get absorbed one day like Adesk does to some of it's good add-on programmers.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
rob2218 wrote:
Only thing about CadIMage Karl is the cost. it's prohibitively expensive.
Graphisoft should take clues from these guys though. they have some nice add-ons.
Wouldnt' be surprised if they get absorbed one day like Adesk does to some of it's good add-on programmers.
I used to swear by cadimage but blech. try D3 smart parts. i hate graphisofts standard doors and windows, but the smart parts are a good inbetween, and you dont have to ever upgrade to use them. for 99 bucks you cant beat what you get.

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!