BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Saving multi-object IFC as a GSM Library object issues

Marina in Fyra
Participant

HI!

I am making our own gsm library from IFC models we got from furniture manufacturer.
One of those is a shelve, that consists of several components. When I first place the IFC it becomes an assembled shelve, while in the embeded library I see only parts

I select the whole shelve composition, and do save selection as an object, a menu with surfaces and pens appear, and it seems to work fine, BUT only in the give scene.

If I export that GSM object, and then reimport to a new archicad project, it is missing the 3D view, only 2D view is there.

It says that the 3D symbol of the object has a mistake in script, but when I am saving it I checked the script and it says its fine.

Anybody had anything similar? Or How do I save a multicomponent object as a library gsm?

MarinainFyra_0-1681835374597.png

MarinainFyra_1-1681835423893.png

MarinainFyra_2-1681835434001.png

P.S. However if I merge a project where the shelve had a 3D symbol to the new project, all shelves suddenly start to work

12 REPLIES 12
Barry Kelly

When you save that group of objects as a new object, it only CALLs the original objects.

They need to be copied to your other projects as well.

That is why you don't see anything in 3D as the original parts are not there.

The best way is to save all of the objects out of the Embedded library into a folder that you can load in any job as an 'office' library.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thank you for this, I was very happy to get your reply

But now when I added the folder with elements and the objects itself (collective gsm) to the new scene, shelves look...well to say the least misplaced. Do you might know what did I do wrong this time?

UPDATE: now I figure it is beacuse for all 3 shelves, when I import those from IFC parts are called Furnishing, Furnishing 1 etc. so they miss match. 

Basically shelves get assembled from wrong parts. Is there any way to fix that?

MarinainFyra_0-1681991318051.png

It is hard to say what is happening unless you can share the objects.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

HI!
Here are the files, there are the initial IFC from which I am trying to make library objects

And two shelves, with their consecutive folders with parts
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r7wafdpks0rkmx3/AAD7xo1nspnksSNZ1noptPKSa?dl=0

When I put just one shelve and its folder in the library it works, but the moment I add second, they become a mess, I would assume its due to the similar naming of parts, but I don't know how to go about it, as when the object is embeded in the library I am not able to rename it

THANK you for your help!

They all seem fine to me.

Here they are with all their parts behind them.

BarryKelly_0-1682065969210.png

Yes, the individual parts have the same names, but they all have different internal GUID numbers, so they won't get mixed up.

You will however need to keep them in separate folders on your library.

I think that may be the problem, that you have place all the parts in one folder?

If that is the case, your operating system will not recognise them as separate files and will simply overwrite them and then Archicad will not have both sets of parts to choose from.

So keep all the parts in separate folders.

Move the actual shelf objects into the relative folder as well, and then just load each of the folders into you library, or add them to your 'office' library if you have one of those loaded.

BarryKelly_1-1682066606464.png

I hope this makes sense.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

HI!

But the shelve on the left isnt looking fine at all

MarinainFyra_0-1682066746889.png

It should be like the shelve on the right, just lower, and not like some weird transformer

This is how it should look

MarinainFyra_2-1682066967593.png

So once I put only one shelve with it parts in the library, then its fine, but once I add the second one (the taller one) the first one goes crazy

I have put as you said both parts set and the assembled object in one folder

MarinainFyra_3-1682067144975.png

...aaand completly same happens even if I add that taller shelve folder in a separate folder withing the Libray manager, if you know what I mean

Is there any way to solidify a shelve, so it works without it parts?

Sorry, I should have looked a bit closer.

That is definitely how the object is scripted.

BarryKelly_0-1682067319514.png

There are no duplicates in the Library Manager, so there is no problem there with it getting parts mixed up.

I will see if I can import the IFC to see what I get from that.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Learn and get certified!