Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ARCHICAD 21 announced - how do you like the new features?

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Please see the announcement and info about the new features here:

http://www.graphisoft.com/archicad/

Let us use this thread to discuss the new features of the program.

On the above page there is also a link using which you can register to watch the ARCHICAD 21 Event.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
115 REPLIES 115
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
James wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:
I am not aware of any new developments in the Graphic Override Dialog, you will still be able to override whole elements only.
In the 3D Styles, you can override all surface to a uniform colour - whilst keeping the transparency. Maybe this is what was being referred to
Yes, James, you are right, that might be it.
That is the result I meant, but as James B said, it will be possible to do with the 3D style (which is cool). I just thought that because you can override materials, and if doors and windows are going to use materials instead of surface, then it might be possible to do it, that was why I thought that.
Anyway let's keep waiting for more videos...
arqrivas wrote:
laszlonagy wrote:
James wrote:
In the 3D Styles, you can override all surface to a uniform colour - whilst keeping the transparency. Maybe this is what was being referred to
Yes, James, you are right, that might be it.
That is the result I meant, but as James B said, it will be possible to do with the 3D style (which is cool). I just thought that because you can override materials, and if doors and windows are going to use materials instead of surface, then it might be possible to do it, that was why I thought that.
Anyway let's keep waiting for more videos...

It's worth noting that you can already do this with ArchiCAD v20.

You just have to spend time fine-tuning the over-ride filters to isolate all the transparent surfaces (or materials) and exclude them.
zoli79
Enthusiast
Richard wrote:
(And why are these stairs and railings better than AC20 with the Cadimage Stair Tool
Don't get me wrong, Cadimage has some great features. We use their cabinets and doors/windows, but their stairs are not that great. Their main weakness is documentation. Cadimage stairs has (had?) some extra features in modeling, but when it comes to defining a floor plan view I just gave up after a while and went back to good ol' GS stairs. I wrote a very long list of features the Cadimage stairs do not have, but the not-so-popular GS stairs do and sent it to Cadimage...

As for the new AC21 stairs: I have to see how documentation features work. I have faith in GS, because they got pretty good in the past years, hopefully those features remain. Flashy preview videos don't concentrate on these aspects, but we architects primarily publish plans, drawings, not models to play first-person-shooters with.

One small note: I saw on one of the screen shots, that the US version still has the 2xRiser + Tread rule. Is that right? This might make sense in Hungary (2m+sz ) and/or Europe, but makes no sense in some other parts of the world. My colleagues in CA just don't get it, and when they get an error message, they start panicking. No wonder a lot of people don't like the stair feature even if it is capable of much more than they think it is.
macOS 16, ArchiCAD 27 (USA)
first ArchiCAD: 6.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm interested to see if the railing tool using the complex profile will give me a good associative roof edge profile.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
zoli79 wrote:
As for the new AC21 stairs: I have to see how documentation features work. I have faith in GS, because they got pretty good in the past years, hopefully those features remain. Flashy preview videos don't concentrate on these aspects, but we architects primarily publish plans, drawings, not models to play first-person-shooters with.
I think you will be very happy with the Floor Plan Display capabilities of the Stair Tool. There is a Floor Plan Symbol and a Reflected Plan Symbol, each of which is composed of multiple GDL objects driven by the same scheme. These are:
Boundary and Risers, Break Mark, Walking Line, Numbering, Up and Down text, Description.
Each of these can be individually selected in Edit Mode and customized to your exact needs: you can place the Break Mark anywhere you want, change the gap, change its angle; You can modify the Walking to a geometry and position you want; you can select each individual Number in the Numbering and move and rotate them; You can move and rotate the Up and Down text; you can move and rotate the Description text.
The display of these components can be driven by MVOs for both the Floor Plan Symbol and a Reflected Plan Symbol, or defined for each individual Stair separately.
Each of the above mentioned sub-elements is a GDL Object, with many parameters to control their geometry and behavior. You can also script your own if you not more features than what the default ones provide.

So the 2D Symbol of the Stair is pretty darn customizable indeed...
Eduardo Rolon
zoli79,

Just choose the rules that you need enforced.
Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 7.09.21 PM.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
zoli79 wrote:
I saw on one of the screen shots, that the US version still has the 2xRiser + Tread rule. Is that right? This might make sense in Hungary (2m+sz ) and/or Europe, but makes no sense in some other parts of the world. My colleagues in CA just don't get it, and when they get an error message, they start panicking. No wonder a lot of people don't like the stair feature even if it is capable of much more than they think it is.
I think you saw the INT version because these screenshots and clips are always done with the INT version since that is always the first version that gets produced, all localized versions come after that.

These Rules and Standards are optional. You can check the checkbox for the "2x Riser + Tread" Rule if you want to use it, or uncheck it if you don't. But you can even uncheck all of them so you don't even have to use any of them if you don't want.
I suppose in the localized versions only the Rules used in that region will be checked in the default Template.
zoli79
Enthusiast
laszlonagy, eljolon:
Thanks for the info. Sounds good. So, when is 21 coming out? 20 came out a month or two later than expected based on previous versions.
macOS 16, ArchiCAD 27 (USA)
first ArchiCAD: 6.5
Barry Kelly
zoli79 wrote:
So, when is 21 coming out?
From memory 20 INT was released at the end of June 2016.
Localised versions were some time after that (some take longer than others).
I assume this one will be much the same.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
zoli79 wrote:
So, when is 21 coming out?
From memory 20 INT was released at the end of June 2016.
Localised versions were some time after that (some take longer than others).
I assume this one will be much the same.

Barry.
Purely because GS have to print a Marketed cardboard box in 15+ different languages and then burn a file to a DVD! then POST them out.
Seriously when is GS going to get with the times, just release the file, enough with boxing rubbish. I just chucked my v20 in the bin. I haven't used a DVD player for 3 years.