BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Baseboard secret?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I’ve tried using the beam tool and magic wand some baseboards into a room and although it works well the baseboard runs across door openings.
Without having to go in and cut out the door spans and drag and mess around is there an automated way to do this?

I haven’t tried the baseboards in goodies only because I have yet to see a video of this going well also.

I really would like to stay within the program to accomplish the task of baseboards. In Revit you can add baseboards as “sweeps” to a wall profile.
I’m hoping there is some kind of secret Archicad option buried somewhere in the program.
32 REPLIES 32
Karl Ottenstein
Barry wrote:
Michael wrote:
Thanks, but if it’s part of the complex profile I won’t have control over where it appears and where I’d like a certain part of a wall not to have baseboard.
If you can upgrade to version 22, then you can use 'Modifiers' in your complex profiles.
So you can have your baseboard (skirting) that is stretchable in size.
To hide it simply stretch the height or width to zero.

Barry.
Thanks for adding that, Barry. And, Michael, you would use Partial Structure Display options to entirely turn the baseboard on or off for views thet need or don't need it (e.g., don't want the extra lifework on a floor plan).
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Barry Kelly
Michael wrote:
"The image must be at least 0 pixels wide, 0 pixels high and at most 1920 pixels wide and 1200 pixels high. The submitted image is 1976 pixels wide and 1080 pixels high."
Your image is too wide.

As for the accessories, do you have the accessories library loaded as Richard suggested in an earlier post.
You will find it in the Archicad program folder when you install the goodies, but you have to load the library yourself.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Michael wrote:
Hi, I’ve tried using the beam tool and magic wand some baseboards into a room and although it works well the baseboard runs across door openings.
Without having to go in and cut out the door spans and drag and mess around is there an automated way to do this?

I haven’t tried the baseboards in goodies only because I have yet to see a video of this going well also.

I really would like to stay within the program to accomplish the task of baseboards. In Revit you can add baseboards as “sweeps” to a wall profile.
I’m hoping there is some kind of secret Archicad option buried somewhere in the program.
I like to use object/library parts that you can adjust for length and miter for base and crown. But if you do like to use the Wall Accessory Tool you can play some trick with the zone boundaries around the doors and then you can delete the generated accessory you don't want.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

if there is a "secret" to having no baseboard at the doors when you use the Wall Accessory Tool to automatically place it for you - it would be to add a node point in the edge of the zone/lines/fill... what ever you are using with the Wall Accessory Tool at the side of your door trim. It will still generate a base board there between the nodes but you can delete it easy enough and the rest of it will be correctly placed around the room, around the zone, along the lines...

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
For anyone who’s also going down this rabbit hole of baseboards and in general millwork in Archicad, I’ll tell you what a seasoned architect told me regarding this.

He said, “a real Architect will show the baseboards and millwork in a cross section detail with model number and dimensions etc. We’re not trying to build a virtual Barbie house. Millwork in any floor plan will only add to the confusion of the important elements in a drawing which are the walls and structure.” Or something to that effect.

I’m coming from programs like Softplan and Chief Architect which are really efficient and intuitive for creating millwork. I was trying to bend Archicad against its will. Apparently Archicad isn’t intended for this type of superfluous detail. I’m only assuming this based on responses in this post and the fact that you won’t find one single video in the entire internet where someone adds a baseboard in an efficient manner to an Archicad drawing. There’s a reason for that. It doesn’t exist.
Certainly you aren't going to show millwork in a floor plan. There are good reasons to model it, though, since it will then show up in cross-sections, in interior elevations, and in the BimX model. Generally, if something shows up in multiple views, it's probably worth modeling.

Personally, if you can create a virtual Barbie house relatively easily, why not? Of course, I've only been a licensed architect for 36 years, so maybe I'm not a "real architect" yet.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Karl Ottenstein
Michael wrote:
He said, “a real Architect will show the baseboards and millwork in a cross section detail with model number and dimensions etc. We’re not trying to build a virtual Barbie house. Millwork in any floor plan will only add to the confusion of the important elements in a drawing which are the walls and structure.” Or something to that effect.
Many of us will disagree with the above quote, unless you replace the words "real architect" with "old school architect". Of course you wouldn't show trim in any view other than sections and 3D ... but why would you NOT show it in those views? If you provide a client with a virtual model for the free BIMx viewer ... wouldn't they want to see things trimmed out (at a certain point in design development)? A benefit of virtual building in 3D is that you can cut a section anywhere and see the right thing without having to detail the section manually, at a risk of future errors/omissions.

The fact that there are no videos of something doesn't mean that people aren't using profiles or accessories every day to accomplish it. It really isn't a big deal, particularly with the AC 22 parametric profiles.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Complex profiles, parametric or not only solve the problem of a adding a baseboard to a wall. You can’t change the material or color of the baseboard on the fly, or hide it for a given section of the wall. Sure you can edit the profile each time for this but that would mean cutting the wall at various locations and then editing the part of the wall’s complex profile where you want the change to happen.

I wish the beam tool simply had a button to select, “hide across door or wall openings”.
This would truly be a millwork tool without compromise.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
We don't even model the plaster on the walls. I'm just a simple bachelor degree engineer though, so certainly not a real architect by our national standards

I want the shell of the building in my drawings, that's what I need for dimensions for the contractor. Trim and finishes are in the 2D detail drawings.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Michael wrote:
I wish the beam tool simply had a button to select, “hide across door or wall openings”.
This would truly be a millwork tool without compromise.
It would only take a few seconds to cut the beam at doors, I don’t see what the issue is with using beams I have done this to model coved vinyl skirtings across a whole hospital redevelopment and took no longer to model correctly than drawing 2d overlay in sections / int elevations

Scott
Learn and get certified!