Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Column Tilt...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey y'all... I'm working on details that require a column (actually, studs.... but I'm using a custom profile and a column so's I can cut a section later) to tilt in two directions.

The big column constructed with steel studs (columns) and board and stucco is square in plan and tapered in section, so at the corners the studs need to tilt in both the x and y directions. When I've assigned a degrees-off in the selection settings, I can only get a mono-directional tilt.

Is there any way to get the studs to tilt at a diagonal instead of along a single axis?

Should I build this detail differently? Is there a more (steel) stud-appropriate tool I could use?

Thanks...

Picture 2.png
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can you simply rotate the stud on plan (ctrl + e)?

Use the bottom left corner of the main column as the rotational base point.
Anonymous
Not applicable
When I think about trying to frame that, I think I would do it differently than you are proposing. The square stud won't form the correct angle at the corner and will be difficult to cut and fit. I would be inclined to keep the studs parallel, let the gyp overhang to the corner and reinforce it from the back with angle (corner bead would do).

Even if it needs the full strength of a stud at the corner I would just rotate the stud 45° and slope it like a hip rafter. The idea of cutting a steel stud at a compound angle and fitting it to the tracks sounds like a mess to me.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter -

The stud on the bottom side is the original, and the one on the left side is rotated. I rotated/mirrored for the other sides as well. Were I to do this at the corner, the orientation of the lean would be correct, but the orientation of the stud would be wrong (ie, angled, per Matthew's suggestion to construct it). That was the first thing I tried.

Matthew -

This is how the guys wanted to design it... I'm just drawin' the detail. In theory, there would actually be TWO studs forming the corner (see pic below). Then the whole thing is to be wrapped in 5/8" densglas and stuccoed ... so I'm thinking that the two studs interlocked at the corner is more to add structure to the corner than the whole column... ya dig? This is in a public parking area, and while we're in little danger of cars bumping these, the sturdier they are, the longer they'll last.

It's only a 3 degree taper....

Neither of these corner studs need fit in a track, as they'll be aligned the short direction at the outermost edges of the track. I guess. I'm not very familiar with steel studs, as nearly all my previous experience has been wood frame.

Thanks for the suggestions...
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Jocelyn wrote:
Is there any way to get the studs to tilt at a diagonal instead of along a single axis?
Should I build this detail differently? Is there a more (steel) stud-appropriate tool I could use?
OBJECTiVE has objects and tools for this purpose. I've attached a sample image with 3 groups of 3 studs manipulated in a variety of ways:
  • 1. Each stud is rotated in a different axis; x, y, and x/y (as you required)
    2. Also rotated, but compound cuts applied to the ends
    3. Rotated and bent to curves
I've illustrated the results in 2D and 3D, and the settings for the stud rotated in both the x and y axis are also shown to demonstrate the control you have over the objects.

The tools for rotating, cutting, and bending can be used in both plan and section/elevation, making it easy to assembly quite complex models. The steel library comes bundled with the add-on. For more info:http://www.encina.co.uk/objective.html
channel.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ralph wrote:

The tools for rotating, cutting, and bending can be used in both plan and section/elevation, making it easy to assembly quite complex models. The steel library comes bundled with the add-on. For more info:http://www.encina.co.uk/objective.html
Slightly off topic but as far as I can see in your image, the steel profile's library is BS. Do you also include Euro-Norm profiles?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Philippe wrote:
Ralph wrote:

Slightly off topic but as far as I can see in your image, the steel profile's library is BS. Do you also include Euro-Norm profiles?
I assume by "BS" you mean British Standard and not the American abbreviation 😉
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
Philippe wrote:
Ralph wrote:

I assume by "BS" you mean British Standard and not the American abbreviation 😉
Well, BS is what I can read into the menu shown into the screenshot. I guess it is British Standard.
As you can imagine I am not more interested in AA than in BS
I work in EN (Euro-Norm) world.
Anonymous
Not applicable
BTW, I probably missed something about what BS mean in "American abrevation"
Hope nothing obscene
Anonymous
Not applicable
Philippe wrote:
BTW, I probably missed something about what BS mean in "American abrevation"
Hope nothing obscene
Not obscene. Just mildly scatological in a bovine sort of way.