Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Creating soffits

Anonymous
Not applicable
How do you create a soffit & fascia as a unified element. We have been using walls for the fascia and slabs for the soffit but they don't join like walls so we are getting additinal lines in either the elevations or the plan views.
13 REPLIES 13
TomWaltz
Participant
I'm using a profiled beam to make the soffit and fascia. I like the beam tool over the wall because you can slope it.
Tom Waltz
I use roofs for soffits sometimes.

I like being able to Ctrl click the edges for quick joints.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is for interior soffit & fascias for commercial projects by the way. I amnot sure how you would use a roof for this. Also, I'm not familiar with the profiled beam. I opened the beam tool but I couldn't see how that could be sued to create and interior soffit & fascia. We are on Acad 9 so maybe this is not available to us.
I was thinking of soffited eaves. You can give it a slope of 0, or give it a pitch on the gable ends.

Do you not like to use the Profiler Tool for making soffit, facia, trim, all at one time?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Aussie John
Newcomer
Steve wrote:

Sounding like a broken CD but i agree roof for soffits but if they are sloping the 2d line position is incorrect if the roof has any thickness and the edge not vertical (eg at a mitre)
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
I confer with Tom. Complex profiles are the way to go unless you are only dealing with a single element. Using the slab or roof tool has its benefits in that elevations can be automatically tagged using the level dimension tool with gravity on. You might search either the archives or the manual for complex profiles to see how these work. Complex profiles were introduced in 10 and I find my self using them all the time. Fast to create and edit.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:

With profiled beams (and walls of course) you can use the intersect tool. Even easier than ctrl clicking roofs. (I assume you are talking about joining soffits at the corners of hipped roofs.)
TomWaltz
Participant
Matthew wrote:
Steve wrote:

With profiled beams (and walls of course) you can use the intersect tool. Even easier than ctrl clicking roofs. (I assume you are talking about joining soffits at the corners of hipped roofs.)
I thought he meant at peaks, like at gables
Tom Waltz
yes. I was talking about just a single element. The soffit. Not all of the other parts. Roofs clean up well with walls(fascia) Fit to Roof or SEO.

Like everything else, it depends on if you are modeling for a materials list, for Rendering model only, 2d results only in working drawings, ect...

That's why there is never only one way to skin the cat.