Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Curtain Wall and Timber Frame construction

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm creating a timber frame building, of which will have curtain wall. How can I do it so that when I create a window the columns that make the wall joists cut to the window as the window is complex ( in terms of shape ). I've tried the SEO but no matter how I set it up, the columns just don't cut.

Thank You
23 REPLIES 23
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
snapcrackle wrote:
Request to the moderators,

There are two threads initiated by the same user on essentially the same subject. Can these be joined? The duplicate thread is "New/Custom composite walls ?"

Thanks,
Snap
I checked this and I would not want to merge them as they have now gone into different directions. It would be confusing.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
NStocks wrote:
... Kind of a shame, though I did just spend 3 hours making it manually !
The exercise of doing it framing member by framing member is good for you. You learned a lot about how buildings are built

Cadimage and ,framewright both free for you as a student will now automate the procedure.

Now you can try both and report back to us the pros and cons of each of the 3 framing systems.
I received feedback today, mainly about the internal layout of my building. My tutor was impressed ( slightly) of the 3D drawing I made, but now all the sections are ' messy ' ( attached, and also a 3D cutaway, excuse the colours !) ) I'm thinking of using cadimage Wall framing and for the floors just use a solid slab to represent the floor thickness. Then, in section I will draw details like the Insulation, Timber joists, membrane etc. as this will be more accurate, take less time and look better.

I think my workflow needs adjusting, I'm determined to get everything done in 3D, but in reality you don't show how floors are made in 3D, hence why sections are so important. For clarification, do Architects manually draw most details and just model the floor as a solid slab ( I know how vague this sounds ! )

I would really like to show the structure ( timber construction ), however in 3D with the windows only, so this is why I will carry on using the column tool.
Wall.png
Erika Epstein
Booster
The floor should be a composite. If you are going to show the framing joists, then the slab composite would be just the sub-floor and finish materials. Or, finish materials can be their own slab to allow you to vary the finish material so the floor slab is just the continuous sub-flooring. This approach also lets you show MEP without having to SEO them from a floor slab, as shown in your screen shot.
The ceiling below can then be separate, allowing for different ceiling heights and you can optionally include in the ceiling the insulation.
I am enjoying seeing your progress
Tell your Tutor we are impressed.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
The floor should be a composite. If you are going to show the framing joists, then the slab composite would be just the sub-floor and finish materials. Or, finish materials can be their own slab to allow you to vary the finish material so the floor slab is just the continuous sub-flooring. This approach also lets you show MEP without having to SEO them from a floor slab, as shown in your screen shot.
The ceiling below can then be separate, allowing for different ceiling heights and you can optionally include in the ceiling the insulation.
I am enjoying seeing your progress
Tell your Tutor we are impressed.
Thank you Erika !

Well in the section image in the previous post, you can see that all the joists and slabsand insulation are overlaid onto each other, and I feel that the whole section looks messy. My plans are also hard to read as they are overlaid with joists, which my tutor said you don't need to see. She can be quite confusing at times, one day she will just ask for outlines of the building, the next she wants details. I know that in the elevations I will show the cladding and windows, nothing else, then I will create sections that will show the construction method and this is where you will see lots of details. Now regarding the 3D view, I want to show something similar to the image previously posted, but that has generated a ' messy' section, so should I have the 3D model on a separate file ?

Sorry if it's confusing, but I'm told different things everyday, and reading ' DETAIL" magazine is helping me a bit too, maybe I should post a image of what I want to achieve ?

At the end of the day I want to produce work like you would normally as a Architect.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Nathan,
Layer Combinations are crucial to producing a good set of drawings. It Still strikes me as incongruous that for all the 3D modeling and BIM we do, are end product remains 2D drawings as it has for centuries. But I digress.

Most of us have modeling layer combinations and printing layer combinations.

The latter only have the layers we want to see printed for a particular drawing. For example your joists could be on a framing layer that would be turned off for floor plans and reflected ceiling plans. Similarly they might turned on for construction document building sections but off for preliminary design building sections. On again for framing drawings.
HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've attached a scanned image of the type of documentation I wish to create. There are 2 types of section shown, an outline section and a detailed section. If I created the 3D model using no fills, I could then have sections with no fills, thus creating a outline section. I could then ' zoom' in on parts of the sections to show construction details at a larger scale obviously. Should I create the construction details i.e a larger scale section by manually adding fills ?

I'm not sure if it's easy to tell, but how could have the below images have been created, by the most simplest way !

Again, I apologise if I'm just re-typing what you say but I want to get it right from a professional point of view, not just looking at documents found in a magazine.

Thank You very much for your help.
img045.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Plans and section
img044.jpg
Erika Epstein
Booster
Nathan,
You chould create a view for each drawing you will be creating. With each view is saved the scale, layer combination, model view option, zoom, etc.

In your examples your building sections will most likely be at the same scale as your floor plan. You may have a wall sections that are saved at 2-3 times larger. These, like details, you will add in the 2D (annotation) information. Annotation includes fills, library part symbols, text, dimensions etc.

Notes and symbols legends e.g. lighting legend can be in your template on independent worksheets.
Details can be started right off the model (how you place your detail marker) and saved at whichever scale and other view setting options will be appropriate for that drawings.

These various drawings, the building section, wall section, detail, sheet notes, legends etc are all arranged on the layout sheet.
HTH
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Anonymous
Not applicable
I see, so when I create the 3D model, should I set up as many fills/composites as I can or should I have them all empty and add any fills I want using the fill tool in layout?
Anonymous
Not applicable
NStocks wrote:
I see, so when I create the 3D model, should I set up as many fills/composites as I can or should I have them all empty and add any fills I want using the fill tool in layout?
The easiest way to start is to keep the fills to a minimum and fill in the details in the enlarged drawings. As you get to know the program you may want to enable more automated drafting from the model, but some inherent limitations to this have kept many advanced users from this approach.