Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License outage
Dear Customers, We are facing with an outage in our services in Azure. You may experience issues with the Azure-based functions, like licensing, BIMcloud SaaS, Learn Portal. We are working hard on this issue to make it fixed as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Curved fascia profile

David Bearss
Booster
I am looking for suggestions on how to achieve the curved roof and fascia detail as shown in the attached pic. Oh, uh, without gdl if possible. I assume I would model the roof with the curved roof tool but the fascia method escapes me.

PB190004.JPG
David Bearss
Archicad 18/Windows 11
Alienware 17 R5
i7 2.4 GHz / 16 GB ram
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
David,
When you say "fascia" are you referring to the lower clapboard
part of the gable end ?
If so, is the clapboard part curved or "kicked out at the bottom
or is it vertical and just the shingled part curved out ?
It's a little hard to tell from the photo.
If I have missed your meaning please clarify.
Thank you,
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
... I assume I would model the roof with the curved roof tool but the fascia method escapes me.
Yes, do the curved roof portion with the roof tool...unfortunately, I need to use the "GDL" word regarding the fascia. Why don't you try some graphical GDL? After you model the roof do a quick 3d view of the elevation...copy the line work of the area where the curving swoop is and use the line work as a template...Paste the linework on plan and model the trim geometry with slabs and/or walls ... save it out as a "static" object to apply to the model.

Dan K
gpowless
Advocate
Personally I wouldn't get so complicated as to create GDL to solve the problem.

Rather, I would call up the elevation, create a fill to match the gable fascia, copy it to floor plan infill with a slab with the desired thickness, select it and view it in 3d, set the parameter to side view in navigator and rear view at 90 deg. , then go to GDL Objects in file menu, save 3d Object as.... and save it as a library part.

This may be an over-simplified way of achieving a result but it is fast, familiar and doens't need a lot of investment in syntax and object language to pull off...

Just my way of keeping it simple....
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Anonymous
Not applicable
gpowless wrote:
Personally I wouldn't get so complicated as to create GDL to solve the problem.

Rather, I would call up the elevation, create a fill to match the gable fascia, copy it to floor plan infill with a slab with the desired thickness, select it and view it in 3d, set the parameter to side view in navigator and rear view at 90 deg. , then go to GDL Objects in file menu, save 3d Object as.... and save it as a library part.
this is basically the same process as stated in my previous post...its what I was referring to as "graphical GDL"

Dan K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Since we are apparently talking about the rake trim (I wasn't sure)
would not TrussMaker do the job ?
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would use profiler to model the rake fascia. Look at the model in elevation view and draw with lines/arcs the shape of the roof. Paste those lines into the plan window. Draw the profile (section cut) of the rake fascia. Use profiler to create the trim. As you are aware this will be "lying flat" versus how you need it in your model. You need to now do as others have suggested and look at it in the 3d window as you would see it in plan view (elevation view looking from the top) and save it as a library part (file menu - GDL objects - save 3d view as). You will need to use solid element operations to trim it to the lower roof.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is an image of a curved entry that I modeled using the same technique. This method allows curvature in two planes without using any knowledge of GDL scripting.
entry.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Mike,
How does your method allow curvature in two planes ?
I am assuming that you are using AC's Profiler.
Thank you,
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Peter wrote:
Mike,
How does your method allow curvature in two planes ?
I am assuming that you are using AC's Profiler.
Thank you,
Peter Devlin
Perhaps I am using inccorect terminology, but in essence that what profiler allows you to do. The "profile" or section view can have a curved shape, and the path you define can also be curved. The last step was simply standing the library part we made with profiler "up". I am sure you could do this last step with GDL and avoid having to create two library parts that you need to load with the project, but this forces one to enter the world of GDL scripting.