cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

DWG

Hi. When I import a DWG into ArchiCAD and drag the view to the publisher set, it's empty. When I go back to the view, the drawing is gone. Can you please help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

@Farnoush Pourmoradi ,

If you use the 'attach reference' or 'place external drawing' option or use the drawing tool, the DWG will be placed in one layer as a drawing.

It will be placed in the layer that is set as default in the drawing tool.

It will not add layers to your file, but you can select the drawing and open the settings, you will see the layers of the drawing (as in my first attached image ... https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Modeling/DWG/m-p/614663/highlight/true#M172588 )

You have the option to 'explode' the drawing if you want to work on it further.

You will be given the option to 'Use Drawing's Layer' or 'Import Embedded Layers'.

'Use Drawing's Layer' means all elements in the drawing will now be placed in the one layer that the drawing was in.

'Import Embedded Layers' will create new layers (used in the original drawing) that you will have to manually set to be on/off in your layer combinations.

If you use the 'Attach Xref' option, then the original drawing layers will be appended separately to the layer list (as in my second attached image ... https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Modeling/DWG/m-p/614669/highlight/true#M172591 )

You have to manually turn them on/off for each of your layer combinations.

You can 'Bind' the Xref to your file which is basically the same as exploding the drawing.

The drawing layers will now be a part of your file and you have to show/hide, lock/unlock them for each of you layer combinations.

So if you find a drawing has 'disappeared', check that the layer (or layers if exploded or Xref) are turned on in the layer combination that you are using for the view where you want to see the drawing.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Barry Kelly

Is it because the layer that the DWG is placed on is turned off in the layer combination used for the view?

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Thanks Barry. How can I fix this? I'm currently attempting to import the DWG file, but it's not showing up anymore.

How can I find out what layer is it that I can turn it on and then try to import it.

I place the DWG with the drawing tool.

You choose the layer that you want that drawing to be on and you still have controls of the layer withing the DWG as well - but they are not added to your actual layers - unless you explode the drawing.

BarryKelly_0-1720493907167.png

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

I used the "attach reference" option to import a DWG file because when I use the "external drawing" option, all lines appear thicker. However, when I use the "attach reference" option, the lines appear correctly. Before, when I imported the drawing, it appeared, but when I changed the layout and then went back, it disappeared. Now, it doesn't show inll. the layout at a

Barry. Another main problem is all elements are locked in ArchiCAD and I'm unable to change the layer from the actual layer.

I have never used 'Attach Xref'.

I always thought it was just to keep the Autocad users happy.

It seems it creates all necessary layers as a separate group, but you have to turn them all on for each layer combination where you want to see them.

They will be off in each layer combination by default it seems.

BarryKelly_0-1720495292700.png

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

I am not familiar with Xrefs.

Seems in the Xref Manager, you can 'bind' the Xref which seems to break the link and essentially explode the drawing into your file.

But the layers may be locked and you have to unlock them.

All elements will also be grouped so you have to suspend groups to work with individual elements (or un-group them).

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Your method works for me but I still have a problem with line thickness size, how do I fix the line thick after exploding?