Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

DXF 3d Model export in Archicad 8.1

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anybody help

I have not used Archicad 8.1 much as I was not 100% happy with it.

I used archicad mostly for 3d visualization modelling which I then import into ElectricImage.

My work flow is such that I exported models from archicad in DXF format.

This allowed me to separate my model by material, this is not possible anymore. Except if I export in 3ds (which truncates material names, not acceptable) or ElectricImage Format that is which exports to 2.1 or 2.9 (it also adds extra groups and and separates curved surfaces which is also not acceptable)

I have tried creating a custom export xml script but can't get the required results.

Any help would be appreciated

Teo
7 REPLIES 7
stefan
Advisor
Did you export from the 3D Window?
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes

It seems they have replaced the old dxf export for and auto cad friendly version... I just would like the a simple option for saving models
stefan
Advisor
When I export (Save As...) from the 3D Window, I can make a custom translator (to be sure).

I don't have Electric-Image, so I tried in AutoCAD (2004) and got a full 3D-model over.

It is split into 3D-surfaces on seperate layers, but not every single material receives it's own layer.

When you check: Attributes -> Layers -> Methods in the translator dialog and see "Create Layers according to:", set it to PenColors, then I get no layers in AutoCAD, but each object is seperated according to it's used pen-number. So you should be able to connect Electric Image materials to the seperate objects.

--

It's getting used to the translator options, but get used to it, since that's the way it's going to be in ArchiCAD from now on. There is a tremendous amount of settings and a bit of trial and error is required to get it right. Try it for a simple test-model first.
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nope they will just lose future upgrades from me, as I will not buy any future versions.

Sorry to whine but some times companies throw the baby out with the bath water.
Graphisoft is beginning to turn what was one of the most stable applications on the market into a shambles that comes of feature creep.

Yes DXF/DWG is a great feature for the primary user but there was no need to throw out the old method.
Eduardo Rolon
Have you tried export to wavefront (obj.) file. If I remember correctly ElectricImage can import Obj files.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

stefan
Advisor
kyphos wrote:
Nope they will just lose future upgrades from me, as I will not buy any future versions.

Sorry to whine but some times companies throw the baby out with the bath water.
Graphisoft is beginning to turn what was one of the most stable applications on the market into a shambles that comes of feature creep.

Yes DXF/DWG is a great feature for the primary user but there was no need to throw out the old method.
Not upgrading is a valid choice. Although I think that R9 is a very good update. Mine is on it's way. Well, it arrived as I am writing this mail 😉

And AC9 is stable.

DXF/DWG support is of primordial importance so they needed to improve it. In fact, 3D-model support is required but 2D-conformance (and flexibility) is of higher importance to survive in a DWG-centric profession.
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Djordje
Ace
kyphos wrote:
Well ... it's not thrown out.

In 9, you can choose the old or the new method.

If you use ArchiCAD only for modeling, your decision not to upgrade might be valid; however, you are losing AutoCAD 2004/5 connectivity, and if the new modeling tools happen in the next versions, your upgrade price and learning curve all of a sudden get steeper.

Better the devil you know, huh?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen