Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Eaves depth

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!

If I have an insulated roof, at say 300mm deep, when it gets beyond the external wall I need it to be shallower so that I don't have a massively deep fascia.

What is the cleanest most efficient way of doing this?
19 REPLIES 19
Stress Co_
Advisor
Steve wrote:
Model your roof just like it will be constructed.
Nice work Steve. Must make sections a breeze.

But...Looks incomplete.
You didn't model all the nails.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
zak1607 wrote:
Thanks Steve,

Though that's probably more effort than I'd want to put in for planning drawings, that's definitely what I'd do for regs/construction drawings.
I know what you mean.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Stress wrote:
Steve wrote:
Model your roof just like it will be constructed.
Nice work Steve. Must make sections a breeze.

But...Looks incomplete.
You didn't model all the nails.

Of course I did. Sort of

I optimize the layout start points for everything too. As you can see in this drawing even the scrap is accounted for. This drawing was revised to use ring shank nails and the order and the schedule was in nail clips rather than pounds.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

And just when I was starting to feel good about my ArchiCAD skills....
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
You can merge two roofs, so you can have two composites of different structure for the part that extends outside. Select both roofs, right click, connect > merge elements.

Since the top layers of your composites will be the same, you will not see any lines in plan view. Elevation/section will look fine too, but ussually just having the same surfaces will solve this.

The problem with SEO is that you end up cutting away bits of the composite that you do not want to lose, generally.

This also works with shells.
merge_elements.jpg
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Richard wrote:
And just when I was starting to feel good about my ArchiCAD skills....
If there was a place on this Forum for showing off I have some interesting stuff I would post there.

Here is link to a video of a lumber take-off I did for an unusual house with double wall framing at the exterior. I should say that there are no lines here. Everything is modeled. If I need a line to show up somewhere in a drawing I use a morph. I try to use no lines anywhere in the project.

https://www.screencast.com/t/U4O0m34Dri

Steve,
I can get worn out just LOOKING at your stuff.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Richard wrote:
Steve,
I can get worn out just LOOKING at your stuff.
And for what right? The truck from the lumberyard comes by on Thursdays to take back what you didn't use for a credit, and bring more if it was not enough.
Construction costs are not based on the material cost anyway. They are based square foot pricing or what ever the houses next to it was appraised for. Why worry about knowing exactly what the actual quantities will be?

Besides, the lumber yard has some very good take-off software and they will be happy to do the take-off for you and give you a firm price for the entire project, based on the volume of the project materials, and perhaps on the volume of other projects you have brought to them in the past.

I know, I have built many homes that way.

And I have also built many homes using my own hyper-detailed Plans and Material lists. For me, there is a significant value in what I am doing.

But for the builder who does not have a crew that could follow the plans anyway, they are useless. Actually offensive, because nobody likes to be told how to build every tiny detail.

I see it this way - every project is different. What is appropriate and useful for one project is a total waste of time for another.

But modeling the framing in detail ( for those rare times when it is useful) is not really as much work as it may look like. I work with premade assemblies of things that are just tweaked a little for each new situation.

Those wall framing plans for example are mostly from another project. You show the elevation as Trace behind the wall framing parts and slide the door and/or window assemblies (headers parts, king studs, trimmers, cripples, sill...) to the new location. Then move the sill to the new height, shorten the cripples. It really only takes 10 minuets or less so to model the framing in a wall. And the schedules are all automatically populated. There are ArchiCAD tools that can frame the walls automatically, but they take longer to configure than it does to model it. Also, the automatic framing is never quite right. Just like the Stair Tool. Never quite right, and modeling it out of some other stair is probably faster and produces shop drawing details and schedules.

To model the whole house framing like I do would be a heroic task. But I am doing this with the benefit of hundreds of completed ArchiCAD projects as a source for the assemblies.
I almost never model anything new. It is just a matter of tweaking something I have already done to fit the new situation.
This saves me so much time that I can afford to keep adding a little more detail, and a few more schedules to every project. Every project now is very detailed and with less time and effort on every job than the last one.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Even still, the level of detail you've got there is glorious and gives me hope that one day I might be able to get more finesse in my models rather than the ham fisted bodges I resort to now!!!!
zak1607 wrote:
Even still, the level of detail you've got there is glorious and gives me hope that one day I might be able to get more finesse in my models rather than the ham fisted bodges I resort to now!!!!
Here is a tip. The trusses profiles are all made with one click The magic wand! I use the MiTek truss profiles from the manufacture to make them.
The reason is that I like to make sure they all fit as expected. Not all of the truss manufacture technicians are as careful as they should be.