Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Elliptical (oval) stair

Anonymous
Not applicable
is there a way to design a spiral stair with solid side wall based on an oval shape?
38 REPLIES 38
Anonymous
Not applicable
seems like I should invest in Objective. Looks pretty cool.
Dwight
Newcomer
It is a winner.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you have shares?

Dwight
Newcomer
Actually, regarding OBJECTIVE, I'm angry AND grateful.

I'm grateful because our colleague Ralph Wessel saw a glaring hole in Archicad capability, figured it out, charges modestly for the solution and gives great support.

You should all buy Objective, whether you use it or not, just to support this independent company. I understand that there might not be that much application for angles and swooping curves among Archicad users seeing that strip malls, council housing and oppressive prison design [Prison design theme: "Keep 'em in!"] dominate here.

I'm angry because Ralph shouldn't have to do that - Graphisoft should be coming up with built-in capabilities that cover all of these darned Add-Ons after all these years. It is an insane game of add-on catch-up every time Archicad upgrades. If you are as reliant as i am on add-ons, it delays adopting the new improvements because your terrain modeler or whatever isn't yet current.

What i have to sell here is a bunch of books. That is where my 'shares' are.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I made an elliptical stair in AC 8.1 using the mesh tool
and the slab tool. The shape is not a true ellipse but
a close approximation made by tracing a true ellipse
with the magic wand with the circle tool selected.
See attached.
Peter Devlin
Tom Krowka
Booster
Hear hear, regarding Dwight's post about the add ons and upgrades. I've given up a couple of addons because of the extreme aggravation of keeping track of multiple add on upgrades across multiple workstations. There are nice, but not worth the added work.
Enough with the in name only upgrades. I agree GS should fill in the gaping holes.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Actually, regarding OBJECTIVE, I'm angry AND grateful.

I'm grateful because our colleague Ralph Wessel saw a glaring hole in Archicad capability, figured it out, charges modestly for the solution and gives great support.

You should all buy Objective, whether you use it or not, just to support this independent company. I understand that there might not be that much application for angles and swooping curves among Archicad users seeing that strip malls, council housing and oppressive prison design [Prison design theme: "Keep 'em in!"] dominate here.

I'm angry because Ralph shouldn't have to do that - Graphisoft should be coming up with built-in capabilities that cover all of these darned Add-Ons after all these years. It is an insane game of add-on catch-up every time Archicad upgrades. If you are as reliant as i am on add-ons, it delays adopting the new improvements because your terrain modeler or whatever isn't yet current.

What i have to sell here is a bunch of books. That is where my 'shares' are.
I understand what you mean and - honestly - I meant it as a joke.
Dwight
Newcomer
Sure. You used a smiley. I saw that. As idiotic as smileys are. Especially the talking ones. [!!!@#$%] I don't use smileys. I would prefer little icons of rude hand gestures.

I exploited you to whip myself up into a manic state in order to progress my Artlantis book. And put up a proper plug for Objective so Ralph can get some sleep.
Dwight Atkinson
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Karl wrote:
You can model such a wall with a curved wall, as Dwight says, and then trim the top and bottom of it by using the curved ramp object in the library.
Karl, are you sure the Curved ramp will do it? I understand you are suggesting SEO with the Curved Ramp.
I tried to SEO a Mesh with the Curved Ramp and it did not work.
I realized the reason is that the Ramp is made using the TUBE command in GDL which does not generate a solid body, only the surfaces of the Ramp.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Dwight
Newcomer
The curved ramp cuts fine - did you see my image from earlier? that is a ramp cutting a wall.

Using a ramp to cut a mesh brings other problems.....

MY MISTAKE: That was for the Villa Savoie guy.
010.jpg
Dwight Atkinson