cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Generating building elements from morph tool in AC17?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
We just started our practise and we're now considering which software to buy. I've tried both ArchiCAD (AC) and Revit, and there's advantages and disadvantages with both.
So far, the major disadvantage of AC has been that the software has not been able to generate building elements from the free from conceptual design tools. What I loved about Revit was the mass tool, making you able to generate schedules, walls, slabs and so on from a completely free conceptual design tool.
Now, I havent tried AC since the 16 version, and I see the 17 version has done some improvements of the Morph tool.
My question is: Can the AC17 morph tool generate building elements, and schedules on the same level as the mass tool for Revit?
Thank you all for answering this post, its a huge investment for us, so we're really happy if you guys could give us some good advice here!
1 REPLY 1
Eduardo Rolon
Not as such as far as I know.

In AC17 you can schedule the Morph tool if you use it as Massing during Schematic Design but to convert it to walls or slabs you have to use the Magic Wand and this option but is not as clean as Revit's.

AC strengths lie in other items like:
  • Bim Server
    BimX Docs
    Selection Tools
    "Modeling Efficiency"
    Priority Connections and Bim Mats
    Working in Perspective View/list]

-----
    and based on who you ask this will be an asset or a defect
    AC is not owned by Autodesk.
    -----

When I had to answer the same question Revit was not part of Autodesk and if I remember correctly it was at version 2 or 3. So my choice was Archicad or Autocad which is a simple answer.

Have had used both but I have finished more projects in AC and still prefer it. The only argument that I keep hearing about switching to Revit is that a lot of people use it and in my case that is not a compelling reason.

If I had to chose again today I would give Revit a try but hardware requirements (for program and Server) would probably disqualify it. Also since I hate the ribbon, hate Revit's autosave feature and consider Autodesk a necessary evil I would give somebody else a try.

In the end find somebody you can trust and is good at using whichever of the programs and ask him if he "likes" using it and if he is willing to help when things go south. If both answers are yes then you might go with that one.

-----
    On another note.

This is your drawing tool and something that you will use everyday therefore it should be something you enjoy.

If you are able buy a 3 month Key/Access of either Revit or AC (about $350USD per month for AC) and do a project and see if you enjoy using it, are able to figure out the problems, how people behave in forums to your questions and see if the software clicks with your particular production flow. If the first one you choose accomplish and you feel that you can do another project with it then you are done, if not then switch to the other one and see how it goes.

Then there is Vectoworks, AllPlan, Bentley, Gehry Technologies…
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator