cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How would you make this?

Anonymous
Not applicable
We like to do screened porches with these pre-made screen door panels. I finally want to try to make thse panels 3D and have no idea what to do or where to start. This is just a small section showing corner and a bit of the side wall. I want them to look like the attached image (in plan). Do I make a CP? Wall with door? Other? I do not write GDL...

wall.jpg
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
It really depends on the level of detail you want and how accurate you want to be.

Option 1: You could use a window that's close to what you want and modify it to fit most of your parameters. Once that's done you might want to open the window object. Then, with your parameters all set up then do a save as. You'll then have your own semi-custom object.

Option 2: GDL. This is a pretty simple object to create. Look at the GDL guide for creating openings. If your panels are a standard size you can just create the window using slabs then create the GDL object. If they need to be parametric it gets harder but still not too bad.

BTW don't get freaked out by the length of the GDL code. Most of what ArchiCAD creates is unnecessary. What you're looking for is the Prism_ commands. That's what creates the slabs that make up the window.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I need to be quite detailed. So this will be multiple "pieces" for this wall? I haven't messed around with the curtain wall tool so I don't know if that would work or not. Maybe do a complex profile for the corner and mull pieces?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm assuming you have a frame that goes all the way around the opening, a sash that holds the screen and a stop that the screen is fastened to. You're right you could use custom profiles: however, you'll have a hard time getting the intersections between the verticals (CP posts) and horizontals (CP beams or walls) to miter properly.

A properly done window would take care of all of this.

You might still need a post for the special condition at the corner.
Anonymous
Not applicable
phubbell wrote:
I'm assuming you have a frame that goes all the way around the opening, a sash that holds the screen and a stop that the screen is fastened to.
Correct. I'll mess around with a window and see what I can come up with. Thanks for the info.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Let me know if you're planning to tackle the GDL. There are a couple of different approaches you could take, and some tricks that would make your life a lot easier.