Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How would you model this?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Help please

arc wall.jpg
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah seems that Mike has an simplier solution
Thanx man!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I didi the folowing:
Selected the object,open it in 3d view, set paraleel projections , top view, then , file- libraries&objects - save selection as .gsm...what next to do...
Another alternative on the same lines, Mario, is to just build it in plan using slabs, view in the 3d window as before, but set the parallel perspective view from the side instead (as in if you were looking down on to the finished library part), then save that as a .gsm library part. When you insert the library part on to the plan it will be oriented in the correct direction and you don't have to even open up the GDL script.

The downside being that is isn't as editable as an empty door opening so maybe stick with that if it works for you!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanx Peter
Will try that also!
Karl Ottenstein
Yes, Mike has the best solution for the original image.

If the arch did not match the library part arch, or had something else unique about it, then Jean-Luc is almost on the right track... except no GDL editing is required whatsoever, as Peter points out.

This is important for everyone using ArchiCAD to understand.

When you save the 3D window content as a GDL object (not window or door, but object), the view/angle of the 3D window represents the plan view when the saved object is later placed.

Thus, if you model the arched object as a slab, with the base towards the bottom of your monitor...then do NOT view as top-down in the 3D windows. Instead, view as SIDE and shift-click the camera so that the side we are looking at is the side at the top of your screen - as seen in the attached screenshot. Now, simply use File > Libraries and Objects > Save 3D Model As ... and when you place the resulting object it will be "standing up". No editing required.

Cheers,
Karl
3D-edge-view.gif
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Guys, I did what you told me, but as soon as I wish to save it as an object, I got a warning
...wich I dont understand, since I did made parallel projections and top view, as you can see in the picture

...on the other hand, door and window option works with no problem.
warning- copy.jpg
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
It may be easier for you to model the shape of the hole!

Simply make a slab in the shape of the hole, give it an ID of 'wallhole' and save it as an 'Editable GDL Script' window or door. You don't even need to view it in 3D, as the orientation is taken from the floor plan. Then just insert the resulting window or door into a wall.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link, I agree with you, but I want to know more on storing/creating object.
...and still I dont understand why do I get this warning?!
Why I cant save it as an object?!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here are the settings for the view
kl copy.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
according to Karl's picture your azimut is wrong.
AFAIR (;-) to Djordje )....a small angle makes trouble
Try to change the azimut to 90 may be it will work out
Cheers
Jean-Luc
Anonymous
Not applicable
That wasnt the issue,
look at my picture up, even thou I have first select the top view and then modify x,y, to 0, 90 deg. the icon was switched to CUSTOM AXONOMETRY --> problem