cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Importing 3D files

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anyone tell me if its possible to import other 3D model types into ArchiCAD projects, if so how is it done and what file types can ArchiCAD read.

Specifically i've been given an Autodesk Inventor (?!?) model and am wondering if i can get it into my ArchiCAD model.

Please help, i'm going mad!
Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
Djordje
Ace
rfoxley wrote:
Can anyone tell me if its possible to import other 3D model types into ArchiCAD projects, if so how is it done and what file types can ArchiCAD read.
It is; the issue has been widely discussed here. Most common are the usually most coomon - DXF and DWG. There is also a 3DS import API that Stefan posted relatively recently. ArchiCAD 7 could also import OBJ. If you have a ZoomGDL lying around, it can also be used for converting 3DS to GDL.

You import the 3D model as a library part. Go to File/GDL Objects/Open Object and choose DXF or DWG as file format.

How is it going to come out depends on many factors ... I posted a link to a "tutorial" posted on old ArchiGuide many times here; check also Resources forum.
rfoxley wrote:
Specifically i've been given an Autodesk Inventor (?!?) model and am wondering if i can get it into my ArchiCAD model.
Inventor is mechanical modeling software; very parametric etc, but I seem to remember that its file format is anything but open. You might want to check UpFront eZine web site for more writeup.

Nope; although you might be lucky with one of the 3D converters to something else, namely DWG, DXF or 3DS. And I suppose our 3D compatibility expert Stefan will have an advice or two ...

Good luck!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Djordje
Ace
Go to

http://www.graphisoft.com/archiguide_archive/ArchiGuide_Online_6o/ArchiveFrame.html , issue 20. Some other intersting stuff around, too!

Also here:

http://www.graphisoft.com/support/archicad/archiguide/importsolids.html
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen