cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License Delivery maintenance is expected to occur on Saturday, October 19, between 4 and 6 PM CEST. This may cause a short 60-minute outage in which license-related tasks: license key upload, download, update, SSA validation, access to the license pool may not function properly. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Materials and intersection priority with meshes

Paul King
Mentor

Looking for a way to overcome the design defects/limitations in ArchiCAD's handling of materials / intersections priority in relation to meshes.

In particular I need a way to have some translucent slabs and roof elements cut a terrain mesh when switched on, but not cut the terrain mesh when switched off again in a given saved view.  

This is for a schematic design visualisation, showing a sequence of things happening on a large complex terrain, as well as permutations and combinations of those things, all for a range of completely different options.  I have never really managed to use the Design Options tool very successfully (mostly due to my lack of experience with it) but I suspect this will not suffice to deliver the flexibility and simplicity needed here to allow any one of the 40 cut terrain permutations and combinations to activate at will, on the fly, in front of an audience, 

I really don't want to make 40 copies of this large complex site to handle each permutation via SEO.

PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
10 REPLIES 10
Paul King
Mentor

A great idea!  The exercise is done for now, but will keep it in mind for next time.  Crazy that workarounds like this are needed of course, rather than having meshes respect materials - an awful lot of any building is effectively underground.

PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop