Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

My magnet stopped working

Anonymous
Not applicable
I love my magnet but the space bar no longer turns it off & on.
I restart day after day & still it won't work. Does anyone know why this would happen?
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
The space bar does not work for the magic wand either. 886+ people have looked at this post & no one has come up with a solution. I don't know if it's a Graphisoft bug or not. Help!
Anonymous
Not applicable
1392 people have viewed my post & no one, NOT EVEN GRAPHISOFT! has come up with the answer as to why "MY MAGNET STOPPED WORKING"
Barry Kelly
Maybe not quite 1392 people but 1392 views.
I have viewed it at least 10 of those times - every time a new post is added.

I don't know anything about Macs.
Is it possible to start the machine in a default clean mode with no other programs running except for the operating system itself (you may want to disconnect from the internet while you do this)?
Then start only Archicad and see if you still have the same problem.
Do you have other versions of Archicad you could start to see if they have the same trouble?

Have you played around with any settings for foreign languages/keyboards?

Have you tried re-installing Archicad as a last resort?

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
Is updating your operating system an option?
10.8.5 is not the latest version I think?

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Jack.

Another long shot...

I'm not familiar with Macs but in windows, it is possible to turn on feature "sticky keys" that causes certain keys (Shift for example) to "stay pressed down" until pressed again. It could be done without changing the computer settings from control panel (has a global keyboard shortcut) Can you check if it is possible that such "ease of access" features have been turned on by accident.

Indrek
Anonymous
Not applicable
My magic wand is not working. No one has replied since I asked for help many months ago. Any help would be appreciated. Also, the space bar does not turn the magnet on & off. Thanks!
Barry Kelly
jcrarch wrote:
My magic wand is not working. No one has replied since I asked for help many months ago. Any help would be appreciated. Also, the space bar does not turn the magnet on & off. Thanks!
I have merged your new post with your old one as it is essentially the same so we don't go through all the same solutions again.

I wouldn't say you had no replies.

Have you checked that there is no other software running that is taking over your spacebar?
I am not a mac user so I probably can't help that much but I still suspect you have another program running or a keyboard/language configuration that is stopping the spacebar from working as it should.

If you go into the Work environment and go to the KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS section and press the "list them in browser" button do you see this?

Barry.
spacebar_shortcut.jpg
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes. That's what I see. Also, no other programs are running.
Eduardo Rolon
I just saw this with one of my students and one of the culprits was that he had activated a default Mac shortcut for changing the system language (from spanish to english) which uses the Spacebar as part it. While this shortcut is enabled you will not be able to either use theMagic Wand, Spotlight or override the Magnet.
If this is the case you will need to go into Mac OS "System Preferences -> Keyboards -> Shortcuts" and verify that the spacebar is not used as part of one.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
My space bar is not used in any Mac Keyboard Preferences.