cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Newbie question

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,
I'm new in ArchiCAD so I apologise for what I'm going to ask so be patiente please. Now the question.
I use pretty well Revit but I'm doing a deep look to ArchiCAD and I have some first questions:
1) In Revit we can work with masses as a first step when we are going to draw a new projet to have the first look of the building and get some fisical information (volume ecc...). Is there anything like that in ArchiCAD?
2) Can we set a wall to stay locked to something (a level, a slab...)?
3) Can we have several views of the same floor plane (for different scale and/or different purposes? The model is (of course) the same and we can add text/dim/labels, set different scale, different level of level of detail and so on...
4) IN Revit when you are placing a door or a window we get always some dimensioning to say where you are placing the door. IN ArchiCAD?
5) Can we do this in ArchiCAD (see image attached)?

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
mtogni wrote:
1) In Revit we can work with masses as a first step when we are going to draw a new projet to have the first look of the building and get some fisical information (volume ecc...). Is there anything like that in ArchiCAD?
You can use any of the tools in ArchiCAD to build up a preliminary model and get quantity information. ArchiCAD does not have a massing tool like Revit. It is very easy though to add walls, etc. to the massing geometry with the magic wand (space bar click).
2) Can we set a wall to stay locked to something (a level, a slab...)?
No. ArchiCAD does not have relationships like Revit.
3) Can we have several views of the same floor plane (for different scale and/or different purposes? The model is (of course) the same and we can add text/dim/labels, set different scale, different level of level of detail and so on...
Floor plan views are by story and are typically done with multiple views of the same plan. These are controlled by view settings and layer combinations. You can create separate views of partial plans (etc.) using the worksheet tool. This unfortunately (for now) creates a 2D drawing of the plan view. It retains its link to the model and can be updated at any time but it is not a live model view. As a rule partial and enlarged floor plans are done in the plan view, but some enlarged plans may be suitable for the worksheet treatment. Plan details are probably best done with the detail tool.
4) IN Revit when you are placing a door or a window we get always some dimensioning to say where you are placing the door. IN ArchiCAD?
In general this is displayed in the coordinates palette and the tracker, but the tracker only displays after the first click of a multi-step process. Since doors and windows are placed by the first click the tracker doesn't help. The usual method is to place the "user origin" at the corner of the wall (hold shift+alt/option and hover over the point) then type "r" or "d" and the distance. You can also use special snap points set by distance. This is handy if you have a lot of doors to set at the same distance off the corner. Revit is easier in this regard. Hopefully AC will catch up soon. Perhaps with an offset geometry method.
5) Can we do this in ArchiCAD (see image attached)?
Thanks in advance.
Yes, to a point, but with difficulty.

You have picked out five areas where Revit has advantages. I trust this is an honest request for information and not just an attempt to make Revit look better than ArchiCAD. There are plenty of areas where ArchiCAD has the advantage.
Anonymous
Not applicable
To further Matthews comments,

Q1. I often use the wall tool with the polygonal geometry method to quickly block out masses. The Zone tool works well too, with the advantage of displaying a zone stamp if necessary. To quickly find out info like area and volume of an object, look under 'Window, Palettes, Element Information' which will give you the info on any object (or objects) you select.

Q2. Generally in ArchiCAD objects are related to a particular storey. If you adjust a storey level, all the walls, slabs, library parts etc that are associated with it will move as well. Individual element relationships are less easy to manage, currently being limited to grouping then together. In plan you can still use the marquee tool to stretch multiple differing objects together over either one, or all storeys, which is very useful when adjusting the dimensions of the building. Having the option of locking a wall to a slab would be quite useful though!

Q3. As Matthew says, you can have as many views of the same storey as you like, each at a different scale. You can control the visibility of dims and text both by using the in-built scale sensitivity of text, which can be set to remain the same size whatever scale you view it at, or using layer combinations associated with a particular view, ie some layers are turned off in some views but not in others.

Q4. As an alternative approach to question 4, if you prefer a more 'visual' guide to placing an object a certain distance from somewhere, try using the measure tool.

1 - First set up your window (or whatever)
2 - Before placing, and still with the window tool active, press 'm' to activate the measure tool,
3 - Click the point you want to measure from, then point the virtual 'ruler' in the direction you need, using the temporary guide lines to hold its position.
4 - Just type in the distance you require straight into the keyboard, it will enter automatically into the little popup box, DON'T HIT RETURN! but with the mouse click the little circle/target symbol (called 'mark position') next to the number you just entered.
5 - This automatically marks the distance with a temporary guide line. Hit escape once to cancel the measure tool.
6 - You can now place the window using the guide line that should be still there.

It sounds a long winded way of doing it, but in reality it only takes a couple of seconds with a bit of practice. Try both methods several times, you might find one easier than the other!

Q5. I wouldn’t say it’s ‘that’ difficult to produce a detail like that. That sort of detail has been discussed several times, and it does cause people some grief, but the best solution we have at the moment is either use 2 or 3 custom profiled walls and/or use Solid Element Operations (SEO) to subtract the slab from the wall. Not by any means perfect, but do-able nevertheless.
See these links for further info.

http://www.archicadwiki.com/TechNotes/Composite_Walls_with_Varying_Skin_Heights?highlight=%28TechNotes/%29%7C%28Category3dModeling%29

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=13017&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

James Murrays great site has got a good solution too.
http://www.onland.info/archives/2007/07/custom_profile_as_section_patch_substitute.php

The comparison between ArchiCAD and revit has been discussed many times on here. You may find that any further questions may have been answered already. Have a look at these two for example.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=19644

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=18694

Hope that provides some food-for-thought!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks to all of you for your kind answers.
To Matthew.
No really my questions was honest, I'm not here to win a race and I asked for them just because - to be honest - sometimes I'm a bit tired of Revit for some reasons, so I'm just looking around for something else but as far I can see ArchiCAD got what Revit doesn't have and viceversa. A perfect software still doesn't exist.
Anonymous
Not applicable
mtogni wrote:
Thanks to all of you for your kind answers.
To Matthew.
No really my questions was honest, I'm not here to win a race and I asked for them just because - to be honest - sometimes I'm a bit tired of Revit for some reasons, so I'm just looking around for something else but as far I can see ArchiCAD got what Revit doesn't have and viceversa. A perfect software still doesn't exist.
Glad to hear you weren't just trolling. Since I have been using Revit a bit lately, my experience now confirms what you (and others) have said as well as my own first impressions.

Each program has many advantages and limitations. They have arisen from different times and circumstances and thus approach the very complex problem of modeling buildings in computers in different ways. It does appear that there is a convergence happening between the two, which will be to the benefit of us all.