Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Permanent Distance

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it possible to set an object a permanent distance from another object?

For example,
* the door is permanently 520mm from the corner.
* the window is permanently 1000mm from the corner
* the light switch is permanently 200mm from the door
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
No not unless that is a new feature in 21 that i haven't heard about yet.
schagemann
Enthusiast
You can use the 'user origin' for that, basically you temporarily locate the 'user origin' (little bold cross) and then offset from that...

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-20/archicad-20-reference-guide/interaction/origins...

...another way is to use guide lines - unfortunately both methods are not quite as intuitive as the workflow other software provide.
macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 27
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes but you can't lock the object to that position, I think that is what the op was asking.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
famadorian wrote:
Is it possible to set an object a permanent distance from another object?

For example,
* the door is permanently 520mm from the corner.
* the window is permanently 1000mm from the corner
* the light switch is permanently 200mm from the door
This would require constraints and there are only a few constraints currently in ARCHICAD. For example, Base and Top Link for Walls, Columns and Zones (and Stairs in AC21) so you can constrain their base and top to Story levels.

Unfortunately, reality tells me that these constraints can put a very heavy load on your program. When you have hundreds or thousands of these constraints in a Project File, it can slow your program down a great deal.
The reason I am saying that is because I studied Revit and Revit has constraints and even Autodesk recommends in their official performance white papers that you should keep the number of constraints to the minimum.
I guess computers are still not fast enough to handle such computing load.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Ruben V
Advocate
It would/could be a workaround to Group a Window with the wall, but that is oddly not possible (command is not grayed out, but trying this gives an "error sound" and no effect... ). Actually, it is impossible to group a window with anything at all - weird...

You can lock layers, but windows/doors are not on seperate layers... So you would have to make a seperate layer for this type of wall and lock that one.

But I concur with Lazlo on limiting this kind of restraints in a design, although it would be nice to have a feature like this for when you really need it...
(òÓ,)_\,,/
www.studiov2.be
Archicad 26/27 + Rhino/Grasshopper
BIMcollab ZOOM
>>> Read my book!<<<