Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Problem: Cleaning intersections in Section

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a slab and i made i wall that goes over the slab, and crosses it.
In the section i expected to see the slab cutting the wall in two and see the slab clear.
I dont see that. (the wall is a composite wall)
I see the wall hatch AND the slab hatch together at the intersection point.

I also have problems when the wall has the same hatch with the slab (but the hatch is defined as a composite)

Does anyone know a solution to that?
I tried playing with intersection priority in layers, but had no luck at all.
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Am I the only one that encountered this problem?
Anonymous
Not applicable
oreopoulos

If the two hatches are the same they will merge as one material in section. One way around this is to make a copy of the fill pattern with a different name and assign that to either the slab or the wall. And if you want the wall to stop at the slab why not just make the wall the correct height to the underside of the slab, or if it has to be higher for some reason use SEO to subtract with upwards extrusion?

HTH
Anonymous
Not applicable
If they have the same hatch the will merge.
BUT if the wall has the hatch from a composite (for example i make concrete walls of 25cm a composite structure) they merge but i dont see the outline.

Also if i intersect a slab with a wall, why shouldnt the wall be cut from the slab? I see the wall hatch IN the slab. Is this normal? (of course i can cut the wall but why this happens? This is not normal.

Also changing layer intersection number does not help (i put the slab in a higher priority layer but still have the same result)
Anonymous
Not applicable
if you want the slab to cut the wall you must pull up the solid element operations dialog dox and operate the wall to the slab. you select the wall and make it the target and then select the slab and make it the operator and then you select the drop down box that shows subtratction and then click the execute button. this will cut the wall by the slab and make only the slab visible where the slab cuts through the wall.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I know how to do it manually but shouldnt the program do it automatically?
If the slab has a higher priority it should cut the wall. Just as in a plan view.

If i have to seo everytime i add a slab.............

I guess i have to make a new wish!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
I also have problems when the wall has the same hatch with the slab (but the hatch is defined as a composite)

Does anyone know a solution to that?
I tried playing with intersection priority in layers, but had no luck at all.
Would it help you if you selected a different pen number on the wall's (or slab's - section pen then) contour? That eliminates the automatic "healing"
Djordje
Ace
oreopoulos wrote:
Also if i intersect a slab with a wall, why shouldnt the wall be cut from the slab? I see the wall hatch IN the slab. Is this normal? (of course i can cut the wall but why this happens? This is not normal.
Agreed it is not normal. You would not build it that way, would you? The slab has to end before it hits the wall, or the wall has to start above and stop below the slab.

Unless you want to SEO all the time, which you obviously don't, and should not do!
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I dont want to have that bookeeping myself.
I mean I have a 5m heigh story, and along designing, i decide to add to half the story a slab to make some extra room.
It not nice to have to cut all walls just to place a slab.
I know it not build that way, but designing is very different from building cause i have to try different setups all the time. So i need flexibility.
How do beams cut walls. ?
If i draw i wall and then put a beam on top, the wall is cut.
This is normal. This is how it should be. Because when i design i dont know where i beam would go. When i am building i know.
So the approach draw as you build is not a holly script.
I should have flexibility.