BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Rename/rebrand ArchiCAD

Bruce
Expert
I think the name 'ArchiCAD' is limiting Graphisoft's potential market, and perhaps inadvertantly, and unnecessarily, prejudicing people against it before they even try it. Given that 'Archi' limits it to architecture, and 'CAD' is a dead term (it's now BIM), I think Graphisoft should rebrand their flagship product to be more relevant, appealing and cool.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
26 REPLIES 26
Dwight
Newcomer
Archicad is definitely a nineties-kind-of-name with a nineties interface. It is probably feasible to rename Archicad considering the North American market presence. The cool kids would line up for a newly-named Archicad, i bet.

Should Graphisoft spend the money on a new name or improve program function and interface? Those slick suit tasselled shoe marketers cost a lot more than programmers do.
Dwight Atkinson
Djordje
Ace
Maybe not rebrand ArchiCAD, but launch a full Construction Modeler.

There was one upon a time - Constructor - and this will kill the "Revit covers all the engineering bases and ArchiCAD is only for architecture" bull, that is BTW incorrect as ArchiCAD with MEP AddOn has what full Revit suite has.

But hey, they sell more Toyotas than anything else ...

... and BIM is adopted by contractors first and foremost, while the architects still dream about the freeform shapes.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
In my opinion, it not needed, absolutely, because ArchiCAD is ArchiCAD, and nothing more.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm with Dwight

Let's get the program right

People will come
If not…
Anonymous
Not applicable
To make the Archicad competitive there need to be interoperability properly implemented. Ability to import a 3D data in intelligent way is crucial. Unfortunately IFC is not a solution just yet. 3D dwf/dwg is basically not existent. Construction Industry will be the make it or brake it.
Owners want assurance now that the Designer/Contractor eliminate the remodeling efforts as much as possible. Proper communication between designer/contractor and subcontractor is essential.
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Given that 'Archi' limits it to architecture, and 'CAD' is a dead term (it's now BIM), I think Graphisoft should rebrand their flagship product to be more relevant, appealing and cool....
...It is probably feasible to rename Archicad considering the North American market presence...
what about renaming ArchiCAD to BIMbo CAD for North American market that would be definitely suitable I reckon

In my opinion rebranding would be an utter waste of money.

as to UI - definitely stuck in 90's... in a bad need of a proper facelift
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
The Suit Doesn't Make the MAN ...
Rakela Raul
Participant
"image is everything"

think how/why you met your wife !!

Bob, i havent given up on you...really busy these days
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Jan Vlach
Advocate
I would like to get answer for one other question: What is bigger name in AEC industry? Graphisoft or Nemetschek? I am quite anoyed how people telling me, that Revit is going to win against Archicad, not because it is better, but because of Autodesk. Therfore I think that whole Nemestchek Group should be using same identification to the user, but i would not get rid of Graphisoft name, since it is pioneer of BIM and I can fell that Archicad is the only tool in Nemetschek's portfolio witch is - beside Cinema 4D - cool an people are passionated about it. The Archicad name itself was not chosen wise on beginning. First of all Archicad is so much more than a dumb thing witch Autocad is. So giving him almost same name? The Archi in the word is (almost) alright since we are architects. But it kind of scares the construction people off. Other thing to consider is fact that it feels kind of old.

So sugesstions from me: First of all: Graphisoft name should take it in name of corporation it sits under.

Something like Graphisoft - Nemetschek Group. (Yes, in this order.)
More to the point I belive that whole Nemetschek portfolio needs rething.
They sould mere Archicad and Vectorworks, make outstanding MEP aplication out of Allplan and push hard Scia outside of Germany, especialy in North America. In addition to merge AC with Vector there should rename it and introduce new versioning.
From Archicad 8.5 all the way to the present.
Passionate Autocad hater as well.
Wish to save palets and menus individualy in work enviroments:
https://bit.ly/3pg3Bx7
Learn and get certified!