BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

SEO mesh doesn't remove top of my wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm modelling an unusual shape building.The main building - see on the attached screen shot - is created through mesh substraction from another mesh .When I place the wall and try to use the outer mesh - which forms the body of my building - as operator to shape my wall ( by subtraction upwards ) it doesn't work.Otherwise Mesh to Wall SEO works.

Any good tips welcome!

model.jpg
21 REPLIES 21
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
owen wrote:
Care to share how this was done? It looks painful to me ... but great result.
They mentioned in their first post that was a result of SEOing one mesh from another. Not too hard really, just magic wand in the contours into the mesh and elevate them. Then copy/paste the mesh, elevate and subtract.

But therein lies the problem. Using SEO'd meshes as operators in new SEOs can be finicky. I haven't done it enough to get to the bottom of the issue, but I would recommend experimenting with operators and targets on layers with different layer intersection priority numbers than each other and the wall. Perhaps start with a simpler mesh and see if you can find a pattern?

Cheers,
Link.
owen
Newcomer
Link wrote:
owen wrote:
They mentioned in their first post that was a result of SEOing one mesh from another. Not too hard really, just magic wand in the contours into the mesh and elevate them. Then copy/paste the mesh, elevate and subtract.
Sorry i should have elaborated .. I understand the basic process outlined originally but from the polygon shapes in the images it would appear the mesh is not based on points of the same elevation along typical plan contours (space-click easy) but rather unique elevation points on sectional intervals - a lot more work to set up so i was wondering if there were any tips on quick ways of doing this.

This shape would take <30secs in C4D but ArchiCAD ...

I think this is a perfect example of why ArchiCAD needs more 'generic' modelling tools which can be assigned an element class by the user. What would ArchiCAD call this .. a Wall or a Roof? Give us tools to build these generic shapes easily and let the user decide what 'Building Element' they represent. We should not be limited by what Graphisoft thinks we may need to model with what tools.

AC14 has introduced a similar principle with IFC element classification .. you can override the defaults for each tool to assign whatever element class you want .. e.g You can now create a ceiling with the Slab tool and in the Slab settings tell ArchiCAD it is an IFCCeiling and not the default IFCSlab

but getting off the topic
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Ahhh, of course. I see what you mean now. Almost looks like it was made on its side. Would be good to get a copy of it (and SEOs) to inspect first hand.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Use composite profhle to make this wall ..
Anonymous
Not applicable
Stone,

According to my knowledge composite profile is giving you a section , which is constant therefore can't accomodate the dinamic "z" value.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Right Norbert...
I draw the arched wall by profile manager making rectangular oppening in it ....to make a wall in this oppening for doors or window .
Anonymous
Not applicable
solid wrote:
Right Norbert...
I draw the arched wall by profile manager making rectangular oppening in it ....to make a wall in this oppening for doors or window .
Stone,

It's a nice one and I consider it even good , but in this case your wall - made through profiling with given path - is an object and only the rectangular part is editable.But , if there was any change to i.e. thickness of the shell it wouldn't follow the changes.

I went through all the ideas , experimenting with SEO and the best is "intersection" with the operator of the external shell.As soon as I change the shell the wall changes accordingly. (see "model2.jpg")

Regarding "HOW" , I did it simply ( see sketch 😞

1.Create a SOLID mesh ( outlines as you like , be aware ideally you should understand that shape ("explainable geometry" , as at some point the shell will have to be built)

2.design the "cross-sectional guide" ( green on my sketch) , which can be any geometrical shape you find suitable ( simple half circle , parabolic hyperbolic shapes etc..)This is the one you will manipulate all along the "shell"

3.Add grid to your mesh through polylines. Polylines divided to suit the "graph", which you designed as a "cross section guide"(have more reference points where your "graph" changes the most)

4. Read the "z" values at these points of your "graph" (this will be first column of your spreadsheet)

5.Design the polyline of the "ridge" along the "longitudinal section" , which will coordinate how your " graph" is changing through the building (shown in red on my sketch )

6.Read the ΔH values along the "polyline of the ridge" and add them to the first row of your spreadsheet

7. Set the rules and your points are created in a minute (table attached)

8.NOW set time apart , as these values need to be added to the MESH , which is a MONKEY's job (5 hours it was in my case )

If it was possible to transfer the coordinates from excel to AC instead of typing , it'd be only 1 hour to create a complex shell like this (mind that this is still a symmetric one! you can take it further...)

I don't believe that a geometrically fully controlled 3D shape of this complexity ( which the person fully understands how it came together!!) is possible in 30 seconds , but I just might be narrow minded.

I hope I helped to give an idea , for those who interested...
Anonymous
Not applicable
regarding the post below model2.jpg attached....
model2.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
and the spreadsheet ...( if there is a way to do multiple attachments please clue me up)
Anonymous
Not applicable
owen wrote:
Link wrote:
owen wrote:
Sorry i should have elaborated .. I understand the basic process outlined originally but from the polygon shapes in the images it would appear the mesh is not based on points of the same elevation along typical plan contours (space-click easy) but rather unique elevation points on sectional intervals - a lot more work to set up so i was wondering if there were any tips on quick ways of doing this.

This shape would take <30secs in C4D but ArchiCAD ...

I think this is a perfect example of why ArchiCAD needs more 'generic' modelling tools which can be assigned an element class by the user. What would ArchiCAD call this .. a Wall or a Roof? Give us tools to build these generic shapes easily and let the user decide what 'Building Element' they represent. We should not be limited by what Graphisoft thinks we may need to model with what tools.

AC14 has introduced a similar principle with IFC element classification .. you can override the defaults for each tool to assign whatever element class you want .. e.g You can now create a ceiling with the Slab tool and in the Slab settings tell ArchiCAD it is an IFCCeiling and not the default IFCSlab

but getting off the topic
Owen , can you explain me please , that "space-click easy"...

Cheers,
Learn and get certified!