Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Show 'Selection Dots' by default

pbg
Booster

Is it possible to ghost/small crosshair/etc the editable selection controls (dots) of objects/windows/doors without actually selecting the item? It's painful trying to find the center of an object to snap to, or to move...

Something similar to a 'snap guide' crosshair that can be toggled on/off for all items with control points?

points.png

 Thanks!

Operating system used: Windows 11

AC 26 USA (latest build) - Windows 11 - Intel i7 - 64 GB Ram - NVIDIA RTX A4000
8 REPLIES 8
NateLumen
Booster

This would be great. When the new wish list is established this should go up on it.

Don't forget you have the Quick Selection (magnet) option for elements that have fills.

You can hold the space bar to toggle on if it is set to off as default in the selection tool settings (I prefer it this way).

Then you can select anywhere on the element to select it.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Thanks Barry!

Yes, I have the quick select to select objects. It works great. But if I am wanting to drag another object to the center/control point of a wall/object/etc I have to still 'feel' around the general area where I believe there is a 'selection dot' (or whatever they are called)... Text boxes aren't an issue as they have the setting to turn off/on 'text handles' in the view->on screen view options setting. Perhaps a 'object handle' is what I am technically after? Or something like that? Does that make any sense?

@pbg wrote:

Does that make any sense?

Yes.

With the 'snap guides and points' active, you still have to touch an element to see the midpoint or division snap points.

I will usually touch the element first to activate the snap points and then drag to or model from that point.

I think having to touch the element first is a good thing.

I really wouldn't want all elements showing the snap points all at the same time.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Thanks Barry!

I think I would rather have them visible all at the same time rather than poking around in the dark. Or touching an element to activate the snaps, then quickly selecting and moving the desired element based on the activated snaps... A simple way to toggle it on/off would be great.

Does anything like this exist - or is this sort of thing a 'wish'?

Thanks again.

@pbg wrote:

Does anything like this exist - or is this sort of thing a 'wish'?

No there is no such feature.

The snap points shown are dependent on the settings - between nodes, between intersections, along entire element, midpoint, distance, percentage, number of divisions, etc.

To have Archicad calculate these points and display them for every element at the same time and re-calculate them every time something is modified, would probably add a considerable load to the processing Archicad has to do, possibly slowing it down a bit.

Plus they would get a little annoying if they are everywhere, even if you could toggle them on or off.

So, I think just touching the element you are interested in is probably the best solution.

The snap points will stay until you complete a command or turn them off with the snap display button.

If you need something a little more permanent to mark locations, you can use the orange snap guides and segments.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

I guess more so than the snap points - which yes, would have to be recalculated/etc - it would be nice to have the defined control points of objects shown (or the ability to be shown) so that I am not hunting around trying to snap to the center of said object.

The small brackets around text boxes don't bother me - so yes, there would be a lot of them, but it's easy enough to toggle on/off with a hotkey.

What are these 'orange snap guides and segments'? I am not familiar with them (or I might be, just under a different setting/etc.)

Thanks Barry!

@pbg wrote:

What are these 'orange snap guides and segments'? I am not familiar with them (or I might be, just under a different setting/etc.)

View menu > Guide Line Options.

Or you can just drag a guide line from the edge of any window.

Or draw a guide segment form the Drafting Aids tool bar.

BarryKelly_0-1722302324107.png

They will stay until you delete them and they don't print.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

Setup info provided by author