Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Why can't I find out how many studs and top rails I need

Anonymous
Not applicable
All of my previous work has been for large structures using steel reinforced concrete but my latest has studded interior walls. While easy to select the type of wall (steel/wood stud, thickness, gypsum, etc.) I couldn't find anyway to set the spacing of the studs. Here in Canada the maximum spacing is 16" ib center and a standard used in general. I went through all of the "lists" available and while I could show the list that indicates the wall(s) I couldn't find a list that actually showed how many studs and rails (top and bottom) that would be needed to construct the wall(s). Is there a reason for this? As my test project for this I opened a new project and place a single wall that had wood studs (2" x 6") and gypsum drywall. The wall length was arbitrary. Those characteristics were chosen in the Wall options window. Next I selected the "lumber pack cut list" but AC responded with an alert indicating that there weren't any lumber items. Really? It was obvious that AC did not realize the wall was made with wood studs even though that was stipulated in the wall options window. Anybody got any thoughts?
10 REPLIES 10
Bruce
Advisor
What object are you using?
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Barry Kelly
A wall is pretty much just a wall with what ever name you want to give it.
If you want to count studs and top plates then you need to actually model them separately.
There are 'Wall Accessories' that can add the stud framing to a wall but I don't think they are super flexible.
Search here for stud framing as there has been quite a few posts about it.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry I will search stud framing.
Regards.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Barry:
I did a search as you mentioned and there are lots of posts regarding "stud framing" but it became obvious that AC does not have a built in ability to model stud framing. As you said a wall is a wall and it only recognizes the center core (studs in my case) as a single solid element. I was led to believe that AC was built with regional versions to make sure that development followed those regional building codes but maybe that is not true? As I said I did an experiment inwhich I created a project composed of a single wood stud wall of "x" length and "y" height. If I wanted this wall built by a contractor the only information I could give him at this time (meaning AC21) is drawing showing the length, height and width including a section showing the cladding (drywall). What I can't give him is a BOM or a drawing showing how the wall is constructed in AC. The reality is that I would have to use some other 2D CAD and create the necessary drawing. Now AC was the first A CAD product to include BIM but where is the "intelligence" if AC does not model objects in their entirety. The whole purpose of BIM is that the model contains all of the information regarding all of the objects. I was wondering if you knew a person at AC/GS that I could contact to discuss my concerns? Appreciate any help.
Regards
Bruce
Advisor
Have a look at this:

http://www.graphisoft.com/archicad/partner_solutions/archiframe/

I haven't looked real close at it, but may be what you're after.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC27 5003 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Bruce:
It would work but it would also cost me as much a full license of AC. I saw this type of setup way back with documentation which AC was not very good at. Someone came out with documentation software that would work as an Add-on and do all of the things that AC couldn't but as AC was upgraded over time the Add-on didn't work. In the end AC added all the documentation capabilities. I see the same issues with Archiframe. What happens when it is not compatible after 3 revisions, buy a new version? Can't justify.
Again, thanks.
Barry Kelly
Have you tried the Wall Framing object in the Wall Accessories download?
Is this something to what you want to do?

I have never used it so can't say it is any good for listing individual timbers.

If you don't have it already you must download the accessories (link via the HELP menu I Archicad).
Once downloaded and installed you will need to manually load the Accessories library or move it to the Archicad library - as it installs in a different location to the main library in the Archicad program folder.

Barry.
wall_framing.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry. Glad you said that it put the library in a different location as I had to find and add it using the library manager. I haven't tried it yet but I will next week as the weekend is here. Hope you have a good one.
regards
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I think the Curtain Wall is completely capable of modeling Wall Framing and the framing of a single Wall can be modeled using a single Curtain Wall, which means it can be edited as a whole unit. Also, the individual Frames within the Curtain Wall can be properly classified and scheduled.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27