Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Wooden stripes, How to

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good morning guys!

I was trying to model a wooden panel composed by vertical stripes. I was using the morph tool to achieve this look, but it isn't very intelligent, thinking that the wall dimensions will change later on.

What is the best way to do this?
Each stripe has to have 20x20mm and 3000mm height. The space between the stripes has to be also 20mm. I want to be able to extend on any wall lenght that I may have.

What do you guys suggest? Does complex profile handdle that? (I could only think about horizontal stripes for that tool)

Thanks in advance!

Ripado.jpg
9 REPLIES 9
I would model that as individual walls. Just make one and multiply. It is not much trouble adjust a group of them the height you need, or above and below window and doors.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Erwin Edel
Rockstar
You could do it with a curtain wall. Hide the frames, give the panel the correct thickness.

Personally I would use a texture and vectorial hatch, unless I need a very good looking artist impression done.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
David Maudlin
Rockstar
oliveruszkurat:

If you are on ArchiCAD 21 you can use the new Railing Tool: remove all the parts except the Balusters and adjust their parameters to suit.

I agree with Erwin, any modeling solution is going to create a lot of polygons, so a texture will generate faster 3D views.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
David wrote:
oliveruszkurat:

If you are on ArchiCAD 21 you can use the new Railing Tool: remove all the parts except the Balusters and adjust their parameters to suit.

I agree with Erwin, any modeling solution is going to create a lot of polygons, so a texture will generate faster 3D views.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
As with everything done in ArchiCAD, how you do it depends on what you need to do with it. Bump mapping has it's place even in a Virtual Building, but I don't think using it to replace simple geometry is a useful application of it.
Polycounts for something like this would have no impact at all for me.
Also, I model everything in the context of how it will function in an Interactive Schedule. This usually means that there is an advantage in modeling everything that will be in a Schedule as geometrically correct as possible. The better the geometry is, the better the rendering will be too.
Save the bump mapping for the complex organic shapes you can't efficiently model with ArchiCAD. In a case like this where the geometry is very simple, use the bump mapping in the texture your apply to it, rather than to avoid modeling it. I wonder if you could do both? Could you apply a bump map to it after it is carved out?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Erwin Edel
Rockstar
For me it is not so much about the polycount, just all the linework, shadow lines makes for a 'busy' drawing, which I don't really like and keeping it with a surface doesn't mean jumping through hoops for doors and windows.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Would SEO be a good way to do it too?

Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Well, with SEO, at least you'll have the wall as one element, however you'll still need to make the 'holes' for windows or those will be affected too.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
runxel
Legend
Steve wrote:
SEO would be a way too heavy operation for something like this.
Not only that, you still would need to have the SEO elements in your file (another thing to take care of!)
For me, SEO is just the last resort, when it can not be done otherwise.

I would go with the railing, but if you don't have 21 already Erwin's solution is beautiful and I deeply admire this idea.
I would not model it with walls, tho. Columns would suit it better; they can be resized fast and easy. And you can have column symbols! 😉
justmy2cents
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text | My List of AC shortcomings & bugs | I Will Piledrive You If You Mention AI Again |

POSIWID – The Purpose Of a System Is What It Does /// «Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
runxel wrote:
Steve wrote:
SEO would be a way too heavy operation for something like this.
Not only that, you still would need to have the SEO elements in your file (another thing to take care of!)
For me, SEO is just the last resort, when it can not be done otherwise.

I would go with the railing, but if you don't have 21 already Erwin's solution is beautiful and I deeply admire this idea.
I would not model it with walls, tho. Columns would suit it better; they can be resized fast and easy. And you can have column symbols! 😉
justmy2cents
I change my vote to columns since they would be convenient for with Interactive Schedules too. I am not sure if you could schedule the railing option, and you certainly can't schedule the graphics options.

I have never worked on a project where SEO or Polycount was a speed factor for me. I would do a lot less of it if the lines at intersections would show up with out it.